Vintage mac performa 5200cd

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone could give me some information on an old macintosh 5200cd. I was told that it may be worth some money as it was only in production for a year in North America, I have a microtek scan maker 2 with it and the colorstylewriter 2400 and all original paperwork with games and floppy disks etc. with the actual macintosh it does not turn on but I'm sure there should be easily fixable as it is in perfect condition and has been very well looked after and not a spot of dust inside.

If anyone could actually let me know the worth of these or just provide some information about them it would be brilliant, thank you very much for reading!

- [email protected]

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's not rare or valuable. It's worth maybe $10-$20 bucks (if you can find someone to pay that much). It's really something folks usually give away fro free.

Since this computer does not even turn on...it's basically worth next to nothing (sorry).

And...just because something appears to be in perfect condition...this doesn't really mean anything. Computers go "bad" on the inside...not the outside (unless it is dropped of course). So appearance it not necessarily an indicator of "fixable".

And FYI...many computer models are in production for only a year. In some cases much less than a year. This really does not impact its value. Old computer technology is old computer technology. The older it is...the less valuable it is. It's just interesting to "play" with from time to time.:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
The model below and above are worth $100 on eBay etc I just can't find anyone else selling this model which is why I was under the impression it was valuable.

The power issue I think is to do with the battery or the the motherboard connection which is why I don't think any parts will be required to fix it.

I understand that not all technology values in time but maybe it's a bit presumptuous to say that technology becomes worthless as a lot of old macs (20 years plus) are starting to become worth money as collectors are starting to take an interest not just nostalgic apple diehard fans.

Would just love to see what is possible to do with this machine and was looking for more information not only on the computer but the accessories as well

Thanks for taking your time to reply though I appreciate it

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The model below and above are worth $100 on eBay etc I just can't find anyone else selling this model which is why I was under the impression it was valuable.

Sorry...asking prices on e-Bay mean nothing. Selling prices are what's important. And depending on where the computer is being sold (eBay, Craig's List. etc.)...the selling prices can be drastically different.

The power issue I think is to do with the battery or the the motherboard connection which is why I don't think any parts will be required to fix it.

If you believe this is the problem (assuming you are knowledgeable enough to diagnose & repair Macintosh computers). Then purchase a $5.00 PRAM battery...and then you have a working almost 20 year old Mac.:)

I understand that not all technology values in time but maybe it's a bit presumptuous to say that technology becomes worthless as a lot of old macs (20 years plus) are starting to become worth money as collectors are starting to take an interest not just nostalgic apple diehard fans.

Sorry but I know what I'm talking about. I've been very active with Macintosh computers since 1986. There are a VERY few models that have retained some value...but even those models (which may have sold for thousands of dollars originally)...are only worth a couple hundred dollars now. Instead of only $10-$20...or nothing.

It is also pretty presumptuous of you to assume I don't know what I'm talking about.:(

Let me clue you in on something. The "Performa" line of computers were always the "crappy" models. They almost always were the lowest end models...with the slowest & least expensive technology available at the time. They were targeted at the educational & very low-end consumer market...where the lowest price was the #1 priority.

No "Performa" model makes the list of old Macintosh computers that still retain some value. At this point...Performa model Mac's are absolutely nothing special. And are absolutely not worth more than $10-$20 bucks each.

Would just love to see what is possible to do with this machine and was looking for more information not only on the computer but the accessories as well.

Unless you have access to OS versions from 1995 thru about 1999...and software from about the same time frame...this computer isn't really possible of doing much of anything really useful in 2014. You have to realize that...even MUCH BETTER Macintosh computers from approx. 2005 and before are not very useful in 2014. And models from 2006 to 2008 are starting to get "long in the tooth".

So a computer from 1995 is totally worthless in 2014. Not just because it is pushing 20 years old...but Macintosh computers (unlike Windows computers)...have gone thru so many hardware and software evolutions...that a 1995 computer is like a "horse & buggy" (not even a Model T Ford) compared to 2014 Apple computers.;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I picked one of those up many years ago for the fun of it from a thrift store up the street from my place for $20. I messed with it one afternoon and it sat from that day forward. For the time it was a decent all in one Mac but today it's almost a doorstop unless you are a collector.

Here are the specs for it.

Macintosh Performa 5200CD Specs @ EveryMac.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Had a 5200 about 1995 and todays value is nothing period. If you wanted one from that era, look out for a Performa 5600 Directors Special. Came with 96MB of memory and a whopping 1GB hard drive and even, if you spent the extra money, TV capable and with an all black case.

The 5200 was a beast pure and simple and slow, slow slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I agree with all above. Also the head in the StyleWriter will be clogged through long lack of use. If you want to try to get it running, the most likely reason for it not powering up is a flat PRAM battery. These are a 4.5V alkaline battery held to the logic board by velcro. You can buy a 3 AA battery holder and solder the flat batteries cable to it, but then you would need to anchor it somewhere else. Next most likely cause of failure is the power supply. The PSU's in UK supplied 5200's were very unreliable. Apple used 2 manufacturers, one failed due to open circuit startup resistors, the other when the PCB carbonised and components started to fall out of the PCB. I used to use a 5200 at work when they were a current product, and was glad to get shot of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well we ain't been called presumptuous yet, Steve! Very disappointing not to be classed like Nick!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well we ain't been called presumptuous yet, Steve! Very disappointing not to be classed like Nick!

I bet that we've all been called much much worse at one time or another!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What ever makes you think that Nick? My Military Police and NSW State Police Service?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ok Harry you are presumptuous! You happy! :D Grin!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.