AAC vs. MP3

Reaction score
Right now I have about 20,000 songs in my collection. Is it worth converting all the AAC? Will that hamper me in the long run? Also if I choose to stay with MP3, most of them are at 128 KBPS, can you convert from 128 KBPS to 192 KBPS ? Is that possible, and will I hear a difference?

Thanks for your help

K

Kokopelli

No it is not worth converting to AAC. Unless you have the originals converting will degrade quality.

Since it is not worth converting it won't hamper you unless you do.

No you can not convert them, they are what they are. Assuming you have the originals you can re-rip them though.

If you re-rip from 128 to 192 yes you will hear a difference. It depends on the individual and how good your equipment is as to how much difference you will hear. 128 is not transparent to most people but it is usually acceptable.

Reaction score
AAC to MP3 or vice versa

MP3 is already compressed so converting to another compression will only lose more sound quality. Not too many can hear any difference between the two anyway. AAC is technically better quality and utilizes disk space more efficiently.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.