My quicklook is broken and gives me an error!

Reaction score
Hi there!

So over the past few days the quickload feature in finder has stopped working for me. When ever I highlight a file and hit the spacebar quicklook loads but not as usual. In the case of trying to load an MP3, no music plays and only a small image of it appears. The same goes for all images and every other type of viewable file. It also gives me the error: "An error occured with the preview of this document." I am running on 10.9.2 Mavericks. Here are two photos so you can see: PIC1 PIC2

Before I posted this I tried to resolve it with many resources, I found numerous articles telling me to delete the quickload preference files in the preferences folder of User/System/Library/Preferences. I have deleted those, but still nothing has worked. I have also repaired my disk permissions several times and I have ran many terminal commands. So PLEASE, if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it! I deal with quicklook tons and can't go on without it. Thank you guys!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hi there!

So over the past few days the quickload feature in finder has stopped working for me. When ever I highlight a file and hit the spacebar quicklook loads but not as usual. In the case of trying to load an MP3, no music plays and only a small image of it appears. The same goes for all images and every other type of viewable file. It also gives me the error: "An error occured with the preview of this document." I am running on 10.9.2 Mavericks. Here are two photos so you can see: PIC1 PIC2

Before I posted this I tried to resolve it with many resources, I found numerous articles telling me to delete the quickload preference files in the preferences folder of User/System/Library/Preferences. I have deleted those, but still nothing has worked. I have also repaired my disk permissions several times and I have ran many terminal commands. So PLEASE, if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it! I deal with quicklook tons and can't go on without it. Thank you guys!
You didn't say if you ran Verify Disc from Disc Utility usually if there is a software problem Verify will direct you to repair the hard drive via the Restore Partition. This usually fixes native apps. So unless there is corruption of the files you're trying to open or something else has changed recently that should fix it.
If not you might like to download and run Onyx for your OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Did you do a simple Restart?

OP
J
Reaction score
You didn't say if you ran Verify Disc from Disc Utility usually if there is a software problem Verify will direct you to repair the hard drive via the Restore Partition. This usually fixes native apps. So unless there is corruption of the files you're trying to open or something else has changed recently that should fix it.
If not you might like to download and run Onyx for your OS.

Thanks for the response! I tried running 'Veryify Disk' on my startup drive but it would never finish the verification. It never gave me a finish message and would just stop at "Checking volume bitmap". Here is a picture. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Until you get that SSD to verify, you have to assume it has problems. And that indirectly can be the cause of your QuickLook not working. Any other strange symptoms occurring?

OP
J
Reaction score
Until you get that SSD to verify, you have to assume it has problems. And that indirectly can be the cause of your QuickLook not working. Any other strange symptoms occurring?

Thanks for the reply! Yes it seems that is definitely part of the problem. The only other problem I see is that in Ableton (music production software), the default effect plug-ins will not display themselves, which started happening when my quickload started to malfunction and is highly unusual. I'm thinking of calling apple and/or going into the genius bar to get this checked out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can certainly give that a try if you think it will help, however, the fact that your SSD will not verify is worrisome. Make absolute certain that you have a verifiable backup that you can use to restore your data. Also, mentioning Ableton having problems with plug-ins is not a good sign. You asked if reinstalling is safe; it usually is if everything is working right.

OP
J
Reaction score
You can certainly give that a try if you think it will help, however, the fact that your SSD will not verify is worrisome. Make absolute certain that you have a verifiable backup that you can use to restore your data. Also, mentioning Ableton having problems with plug-ins is not a good sign. You asked if reinstalling is safe; it usually is if everything is working right.

Hey there! I tried to call apple today but my warrant/apple care is up, so I didn't want to purchase a call without being sure it would help. Do you think it would be better for me to just take it into the Genius Bar? Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would be better to take it to a genius bar since they'll diagnose the problem for free but of course will charge you for any repairs + parts. Make an appointment with them first otherwise you may be waiting around in the store for hours to see a tech.

OP
J
Reaction score
It would be better to take it to a genius bar since they'll diagnose the problem for free but of course will charge you for any repairs + parts. Make an appointment with them first otherwise you may be waiting around in the store for hours to see a tech.

Thank you for your help :) To the genius bar I go!

M

MacInWin

You can also use Onyx to run the Verify disk to completion. What I have happening here is that from Disk Utility the Verify runs, but doesn't show results. Howerver, the results are in Console, so the utility is actually completing. Onyx makes it easy to see the results. Just start Onyx, let it run the verifying stuff and then look in "verifying" "Structure of volume" and you'll see the verify disk messages there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.