Trying to Download Mavericks

Reaction score
As above.

It says "Downloading" but nothing is happening.

How come there's no bar that shows that process of downloading and how long it takes?

Should this download take more than a few minutes?

Thanks.

EDIT: The little bar in under the icon in the dock is getting bigger. I guess it is installing now? Or is it just loading the installer onto my desktop?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's just loading the installer. Installation will take another good bit of time. Make a copy of the installer after it finishes downloading and save it someplace where you can have access to it later on. Copy it to a flash drive, SD card, or a folder on your machine. Once it's copied, you can start the installation process with the original install file.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just a note. The installer downloads to the Applications folder. Do what Chscag said above.

OP
M
Reaction score
It's just loading the installer. Installation will take another good bit of time. Make a copy of the installer after it finishes downloading and save it someplace where you can have access to it later on. Copy it to a flash drive, SD card, or a folder on your machine. Once it's copied, you can start the installation process with the original install file.

This is what I was going to do. Bought a new Flash drive and everything. But nothing happened the way I expected, and now it is already installed (10.9.2).

Is it too late to make that backup copy?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The file usually goes away after the install. You can re-download it and this time right away go to Applications and find it and use the instructions to make your Flash Installer. If you need instructions I can provide you url's.

OP
M
Reaction score
The file usually goes away after the install. You can re-download it and this time right away go to Applications and find it and use the instructions to make your Flash Installer. If you need instructions I can provide you url's.

Thanks. That sounds like a plan.

It'll take another hour to re-download, I guess.

OP
M
Reaction score
Mavericks is driving me nuts. Do I need to keep it for Security reasons? Can I use the backup I did this morning in Time Machine to go back to the way things were?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you made a Time Machine backup right before, yes. Boot from the installer and select restore from Time Machine backup. Be sure it's the Mountain Lion installer.

If I were you why not give it a bit more time and see if it grows on you? It has Memory Compression that makes for better performance in lower amounts of RAM.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What did you upgrade from? If the version you upgraded from was up to date you're probably OK without going to Mavericks.

As far as using Time Machine to go backwards did you have Time Machine backup system files along with your data. If so you should be able to boot to the recovery partition, erase the OS X partition, then restore from the Time Machine backup.

Juat out of curiosity what is it about Mavericks that is driving you nuts.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sly, Out of the box for me Time Machine does it all. I have never changed settings and left it alone and always was able to restore with everything there. If nothing was messed with it should be that way and using the recovery Partition selecting restore from Time Machine Backup.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's right. Just wanted to make sure the OP was set up that way. I'm not at the moment. I've excluded system files from my backup because I usually keep a bootable backup going.

That reminds me. Been a while since I cloned things. Need to do another one tomorrow.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone.

I don't understand about a third of what you are saying (partition?), but I gather I need to plug in my Time Machine backup drive, then go to Disk Utilities and reboot from it. Then, I should be able to figure out the restore process.

I upgraded from what is in my sig line. I heard that they are no longer providing Security Updates for what I had.

Sly, I'll take your advice and try to stick with Mavericks for a while. My problem is that I was expecting an "update," not a whole new OS. It's too overwhelming for me at the moment. But going back may be more of a hassle.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
I would avoid Mavericks - it has slowed my computer down significantly - wish I never installed it.

Reaction score
I downloaded Mavericks last week...it did nothing but slow my computer down. I wasn't even able to play video files anymore..it is awful..finally I got disgusted and restored my computer to the day before the Mavericks download via Time Machine....everything is GREAT now...back to normal.....AVOID MAVERICKS

OP
M
Reaction score
I downloaded Mavericks last week...it did nothing but slow my computer down. I wasn't even able to play video files anymore..it is awful..finally I got disgusted and restored my computer to the day before the Mavericks download via Time Machine....everything is GREAT now...back to normal.....AVOID MAVERICKS

Too late for that, I'm afraid.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For you above that say Mavericks "Slowed your computer way down" What are the specs? How much RAM do you have?

Also on the video codec playback issues, install the older Quicktime 7 from OSX. All the old Codecs and videos will play fine. Apple has gone to the same video engine that is in IOS in Mavericks.

I believe you can still download QT 7 from Apple as well as make it Quicktime Pro for $29 and edit and save.

Reaction score
recovery Partition

Sly, Out of the box for me Time Machine does it all. I have never changed settings and left it alone and always was able to restore with everything there. If nothing was messed with it should be that way and using the recovery Partition selecting restore from Time Machine Backup.

Can someone explain to me what "using the recovery Partition selecting restore from Time Machine Backup" means please? I just use Time machine, I didn't know anything about a recovery partition. Am I missing something?
Please advise.

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In sig
As above.

It says "Downloading" but nothing is happening.

How come there's no bar that shows that process of downloading and how long it takes?

Should this download take more than a few minutes?

Thanks.

EDIT: The little bar in under the icon in the dock is getting bigger. I guess it is installing now? Or is it just loading the installer onto my desktop?

exceptional simple instructions my friend

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.