• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

No word on a updated Mac Mini yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Just sitting in bed last night thinking, the current Mac Mini has been out for 18 solid months now and nothing from Apple or any good solid rumors as well. At least nothing I have seen..

Anyone else heard or seen anything. Or got an idea when we might hear something.

As it stands right now, my speculation is that we will just see a updated version of the current Mini with newer Wifi, CPU/iGPU and Thunderbolt.. Nothing leaps and bounds over the current, but newer none-the-less. But thats my guessing.. Would really like to see something with more punch..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That and a new Thunderbolt display are long overdue. The rumors are we may see the new Intel Haswell desktop CPU this year. That may mean the Mini and iMac.

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
That and a new Thunderbolt display are long overdue. The rumors are we may see the new Intel Haswell desktop CPU this year. That may mean the Mini and iMac.

Hope they continue to put quad cores in the Mini. Also if they newer chip is to hit the mini, thats actually cool with me, really want to see if intel is going to be able to live up to its promise of making a iGPU that performs with midranges graphics cards within the next decade. The Iris pro isn't what I call great, its just what they should have been doing 5 years ago IMHO. Well anyway the next series of iGPUs should be 54xx or 55xx like the ones before 4xxx, 44xx, then 5000 and 5200. But numbers means nothing. Just want to see how it performs. I am not going to purchase a new mac this year. Done dumped about 7500 into photography gear.. But next model from the next model (does this even make sense lol), model after next, I am going to be looking for some serious GPU boost from Intel or I may just have to break down and get the Mac Pro.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I may just have to break down and get the Mac Pro.

That's a lot of $$$ to spend, but as a professional photographer you have to think that a machine like the Mac Pro will pay for itself over its lifetime. (which should be a long lifetime!) ;)

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a lot of $$$ to spend, but as a professional photographer you have to think that a machine like the Mac Pro will pay for itself over its lifetime. (which should be a long lifetime!) ;)

The base model specs really are not that bad. 12GB of RAM is good. Fast Xeon CPU, 2x ATI D300's and 256GB Flash Storage. Thats expensive gear even if you built it yourself. My only other complaint was I didn't see the need for the mass majority of mac users needing a ECC based system. Plus the D300s while great in Photoshop, are useless to most multimedia programs. That said, I would still be willing to purchase the system, in the future. Right now I can encode a 15min video in iMovie in about 30-45seconds.. So no complaints as of yet. However exporting images from Lightroom is SLOW. About 10 images per minute. And Lr doesn't use any GPU to boost its performance. Something we hoped to have seen in Lr 5. Hoping Lr 6 will.. HINT HINT ADOBE!! Then Id get a Mac Pro with out a second thought..

I just wonder, as I have seen rumors in the past, tho no backing to justify their claims, that there will be no more mac minis coming out. Which makes me think more, everyone hold on here.. LOL.. That it would be more beneficial to Apple to make a lower end Mac Pro, just call it a Mac with a standard i5 to i7 Quad core, single mid-range radeon or geforce video card and come with a 1TB HDD or Flash combo like minis do now. Just in the Pro body. I could honestly see Apple doing this. But would they?

I just dont like the iMac, because it feels like buying a new monitor each time. Plus I like matching screens and at 1k extra for a Apple monitor. Sheeze,, I can buy a Mac Pro and use my monitors.. At least that how I look at it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just dont like the iMac, because it feels like buying a new monitor each time.

Another way of looking at things...this is exactly what happens when we buy laptop computers as well.

But I know what you're saying.:) Of course when we sell a used iMac...we're selling a monitor as well. This is sort of the +/- of an "All-In-One" computer.

- Nick

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another way of looking at things...this is exactly what happens when we buy laptop computers as well.

But I know what you're saying.:) Of course when we sell a used iMac...we're selling a monitor as well. This is sort of the +/- of an "All-In-One" computer.

- Nick

Very true. Although I would highly consider a iMac if Apple made a 24" version and a 24" monitor to purchase as well. I have OCD so everything must match perfectly or it would drive me crazy.

That said, I expected to here something about new Mac Mini by now and still nothing..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That said, I expected to here something about new Mac Mini by now and still nothing..

"A watched pot never boils!";)

It will happen when you least expect it!:)

- Nick

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.5 ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 960 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD (5200 RPM)
I've been holding out for awhile for that rumored Haswell refresh. I want to dump some more RAM into my mini but I dread spending the money only to have a new model roll out. A Haswell-powered unit would address what few complaints I have about my Mini. Iris will be powerful enough to run the kinds of games I like on my display and a Haswell processor shouldn't get bogged down like my Ivy Bridge does after extended gaming sessions.

Current units are already rock-solid for entry level OS X though so I guess I shouldn't complain that I try to play games via BootCamp on my Mac lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.