Are some Apple Apps linked to each other?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mini i5, 2.5GHz, 8GB & 2011 Mini i5, 2.3GHz, 8GB both with 20" Apple Cinema Displays
As I don't use Safari I deleted it (and it's associated files) using Appzapper. I then found that Apple Mail, Preview and Text Edit failed to launch (Dock icons bounce, applications not responding, force quit required).

I then launched all my other installed Apple Apps to make sure they were working, which they were, including Software Update via the App Store, and saw I had a Safari update (even though I'd delete the Safari App). Out of curiosity I downloaded this Safari update and afterwards, Apple Mail, Preview and Text Edit all launch and run properly, although Safari now doesn't! (which isn't a problem).

So, just curious if some Apple Apps are linked to each other...

Reaction score
In a way, yes. They all use webkit among other things. Don't delete Safari.

OP
born_to_hula
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mini i5, 2.5GHz, 8GB & 2011 Mini i5, 2.3GHz, 8GB both with 20" Apple Cinema Displays
Ah right, thanks for replying.

So I seem to now have a 'not quite complete' version of Safari installed due to the update: enough of it so that the other Apps now work, but not enough that Safari is able to launch and run itself?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You'll need to launch Safari to be sure but I bet the entire thing has been reinstalled. The other thing to remember is let the installer put Apple programs in their default location (usually the Applications folder). The Software Update setup looks for these programs in the default location to determine if an update is needed.

Note: Be sure to restart before attempting to restart Safari after the install. Not sure it's needed but wouldn't hurt.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.