Toasted MacBook Pro. Apple store/ care experience?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Tragic accident yesterday. Slipped up on a wet floor and smashed a bottle of wine in my bag which of course has my work machine in it ( protective sleeves are not 100% wine proof it seems)

Dried it overnight etc in vain hope, but already knew the screen had been affected by purple stain when I turned it off post accident.

Although I switched the machine off, I took it to the apple store this morning, but was told it would be weeks to send off and get an answer

So took it to a local repair shop, who just gave me the news. Toasted logic board. Didn't even turn on machine, so just assuming the retina is done for also.

They did disconnect the battery, to ensure no further damage. Hard drive is recoverable apparently.

Slightly bricking it, as expect my boss will make me pay for this, even though he was there at scene and knows it was an accident.

Just wondering what peoples experience of apple are in a case like this? Machine is just 6 months old, but of course know the warranty/ apple care is voided by spill.

Just trying to get a plan of action before facing the music on Monday. Should I go back to apple store for any reason??

Cheers,

Chris,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just trying to get a plan of action before facing the music on Monday. Should I go back to apple store for any reason??

The only reason to go back to the Apple Store is to buy a new retina machine to replace the one you destroyed. :p

I don't know how many tales of woe we have received here at our forums describing accidents and spills. But they all usually end the same way.... minus one computer and minus many $$$.

Sorry about your loss and hopefully you have an understanding boss!

C

chas_m

Very sorry to hear of this, but wine being highly acidic there's not much hope of recovery there, and Apple can't really cover you on this as the accident was your responsibility, I'm afraid.

The hard drive and its data should be recoverable, you might be able to sell some other parts of the unit for parts, but ultimately ... yep, new machine. Lesson learned: liquids (even contained liquids) should never be kept near a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Alas liquid spills are not covered and the MBP has special indicators inside to show liquid damage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
Never mind the MBP - what about the wine! Priorities and all that.

Seriously, though. As others have said - I'd be surprised if you got any joy from AppleCare, liquid damage is outside the cover. Bite the bullet, buy a new one - and hope to salvage some cash back by selling the damaged one for spares? Expensive stuff. Sorry for your loss!

If your boss was there etc, maybe he/she will understand and pay for it?
Good luck. CB

Reaction score
when I spilled coffee on my macbook pro, I also took it to a mac store, they had it repaired and returned to me in three day's

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just wondering what peoples experience of apple are in a case like this? Machine is just 6 months old, but of course know the warranty/ apple care is voided by spill.

If what you're asking is...will the repair be less expensive if Apple does it. Basically replacing the logic board is very expensive...but...since this is only a 6 month old computer...the repair may be less expensive than purchasing a new computer. But this also depends on whether or not the computer needs more than a logic board.

In many cases (if the computer is a couple years old or more)...and the logic board needs to be replaced...then it is usually not worth it. Since the cost of the repair can equal or exceed the value of the computer.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.