Restore Bookmarks Functionality?

Reaction score
I recently 'upgraded' to Mavericks from Snow Leopard on my 1999 MacBook and found that I had lost functionality in my Bookmarks folder. I used to be able to open Bookmarks, select a file from a subfolder or sub-subfolder, go to the page, then close it and return to Bookmarks, where I'd find the subfolder or sub-subfolder still open so I could select another file. Now, when I open Bookmarks, I get a panel with subpanels. Selecting something from a subpanel requires more manual dexterity than I possess, and when I close the file, I have to go back to the menu bar and start over. I find I can click on Edit Bookmarks and get something like what I was used to, but when I close a file I've selected from a subfolder, I can't go back to the bookmark list and find the subfolder list still displayed as I could before. Is there some way I can restore that very convenient functionality other than reverting to Snow Leopard? Tx!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reverting to SnowLeopard for 1 little is a little extreme isn't it ??
But as Chas said, in Mavericks you have a a Sidebar and by clicking the BookMark Symbol far left of the BookMark Bar. That brings ip Bookmarks, Reading Lists (Where you have sent a web page there to read later) and the Shared Links (attached to your Twitter Account)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.