Should I get this imac?

Reaction score
I've been looking to get a used imac, preferably somewhat new, at least 2008 or earlier. I found one in craigslist, but it needs a new glass screen cover and the corner is bent. I know how to replace screens, and that will cost me 60$. The corner might still be a problem though. He said If I came today he would do 350$ cash. Its a 24 inch from 2009, 4gb ram, 650gb storage I believe?

Here is the link to it, is it worth 350$ plus 60$ for the screen?
http://appleton.craigslist.org/sys/4439840131.html

need quick responses,
thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That particular year and model iMac (24") had problems with the screen discoloring. Also, the fact that it has a bent corner indicates it has either been dropped or handled roughly. I would stay away from it. You probably would be better off looking for something newer. The 2010 iMacs can be purchased at moderate cost - especially the 21.5" model. Keep looking and be careful about buying anything from Craig's list or eBay.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with Chscag. Also that corner is bent enough the new glass might not sit flush unless you can bend the aluminum back to shape.

And like was said, dropping it that hard might have done other damage that will show up after you take it home. I would beware and pass on that iMac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
A big, big miss. Only value is for parts after that damage.

C

chas_m

I would not accept an iMac from earlier than 2008 if you offered it to me for free, except for a collection or non-Internet single-purpose use.

This is because a) little practical software that still works or can be obtained easily, b) security issues that prevent it from being used for most Internet purposes, c) no real connection to modern uses or software and d) my place is small and I don't have room for any computers that don't make me money.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.