Time Capsule

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, OS X 10.9.2
I have a 3TB TC and was wondering if I could use it (partitioned) as an external HD ?
Not sure if that makes sense. I already use it as a backup for my MacBook Pro - backing up entire SSD HD, but wanting to also use it separately for backing up iPhoto Library and specific folder/files that I like to keep off of the Mac.

If that is even possible or feasible, I would welcome some insight on how to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance

Cheers :Smirk:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our Forums.

I moved your post here as it does not belong in the "Lounge". This forum is for "Other Hardware" which your TC is. Please observe our forum subjects and post accordingly. Your introductory post was OK posted in the Lounge.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, it can be used to store other data.
Copy data to it the same as you would any other drive.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have a 3TB TC and was wondering if I could use it (partitioned) as an external HD ?

Cheers :Smirk:

I don't think you can partition the drive in the typical sense of the word. You can however setup disk shares. Without shares in place as the drive filled with data there is less space for Time Machine backups. With shares in place you can control the size in a way somewhat similar to partitions.

OP
Shailevit
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, OS X 10.9.2
Thanks

Thanks for moving the post. I thought about posting this in Hardware, but thought it to be a simple what-if lounge question. Will pay more attention to formality and appropriateness.
Welcome to our Forums.

I moved your post here as it does not belong in the "Lounge". This forum is for "Other Hardware" which your TC is. Please observe our forum subjects and post accordingly. Your introductory post was OK posted in the Lounge.

OP
Shailevit
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, OS X 10.9.2
Thoughts

Yes, it can be used to store other data.
Copy data to it the same as you would any other drive.

That being said, I am assuming that I would open up Finder, see the attached drive in the Library, create a folder and just drag and drop files into this. Similar to attaching a USB / External Flash drive. But oddly when I do connect the TC and backup my SSD via Airport, I do not seem to see the drive in Finder at all.
Am I missing a setup step ?
i.e: Should I not connect directly to it via ethernet (first port <-@-> but rather via the other non Internet Ethernet ports.

I should mention that I am using TC as a direct-connect to MacBook, not via router to Internet or some other methods. Hope that helps explain the setup and situation.

Cheers :Mischievous:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You are assuming correctly

you need to open Finder - Preferences - Sidebar tab -

you'll need to figure out which box to check, have never connected my Macs to it via ethernet

Connecting via wifi, it would be Shared - Bonjour computers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.