• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple, the 2nd most profitable company worldwide: Do you find it hard to believe?

Reaction score
I'm not surprised, Exxon, an oil and gas company being the most profitable company in the world. Imagine the amount of oil and gas the world consumes every minute. Then comes along Apple at second place. That's incredible! It's incredible because it is difficult to wrap your head around.

You might even think brands such as Sony or Samsung may exceed Apple. After all, Sony and Samsung sells TVs, cameras, camcorders, Hi-Fi systems, home theater systems and among other products that Apple does not sell.

You might even think that a popular car manufacturer such as Toyota would profit more since it is so popular and costs way more than an iPad or a Mac. Yet, the profit pales in comparison.

Ok, fine, Steve Jobs did say that they do sell so many iPads that it's extremely difficult to manufacture fast enough but how many products from Coca-Cola (Coke, Sprite, Fanta) is sold worldwide every 10 seconds?! Nope, Coca-Cola does not compare. McDonald's? No.

What about banks? Jesus Christ, the amount of interest and fees that they charge is staggering.

There are other prominent commodity and energy companies that do not even come close to Apple.

It leads me to believe that not only Apple profit from products but from iTunes store as well. A substantial amount. Still, I do not understand.

Does anyone understand why? Or have any personal theories?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Of course they profit from their activities. It is known as excellent market place business. And as a shareholder I expect them to return a fair profit margin on everything they handle. Apple is not a charitable institution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Its shows how well their goods and services are doing if either of those fail so do profits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Saudi Aramco has a net worth of around $10 trillion USD. Not too bad either. Of course it essentially IS the Saudi Arabian Treasury as much as a company.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@simonvee:

Please observe the proper protocol for posting in the Rumors and Reports forum. In other words, read the instructions from the Sticky Post above. You did not post a link regarding the subject you posted about. Therefore, we need to move it to another forum (Lounge).

OP
S
Reaction score
Of course they profit from their activities. It is known as excellent market place business. And as a shareholder I expect them to return a fair profit margin on everything they handle. Apple is not a charitable institution.

Do you buy their shares to earn dividends or capital gain?

If the former, what is their rate of return?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to a stockbroker like I did. Purchased 29 june 1999 Apple was going B-A-D when price was US$45.26 from memory. Here is the latest closing price:-

http://quotes.wsj.com/AAPL

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Harryb: you bought when I sold! I had bought it at around $14 and made a tasty profit on it, but I didn't think (at the time) it was going to go any higher. I never got back into it, but am thinking of doing so now.

Did you know that if someone had bought a share of unsplit AAPL in early May 1987 (right before the first-ever split) and hold onto it through the various splits and growth, they'd have seen a 5,286 percent return on investment??

OW!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well all I can say is .. thanks chas m! Had just purchased a Bondi Blue iMac and thought it would be a shame if Apple went under so spent a few hundred from my retirement fund. Got any more at that price mate?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.