Waking up my Mac

Reaction score
When my MAC mini is sleeping and I wake it up, I don't have the ethernet connection until I run the troubleshooter. It did not used to be this way. It's very annoying that I am not online when I wake it up.

M

MacInWin

You said "ethernet." Most connection problems on wake up with Mavericks are wireless related. Are you wired or wireless?

M

MacInWin

OK, just wanted to make sure. One possible solution is to not let it sleep. You can save a lot of power by letting the display sleep, and not letting the CPU sleep. You didn't say what version of OSX, but look in System Preferences for Energy Saver, or some similar name and set the monitor to sleep but the CPU to stay awake.

BTW, you may not have to run the troubleshooter, but just wait a while. On wake up the Mac will negotiate with your router for an IP number, which can take a bit of time because routers are prioritized to connected services before requests for connections. Running troubleshooter just accelerates that process a bit.

OP
S
Reaction score
10.9.2.. BTW this did not happen a few upgrades ago. Similar problems with out MBP's (3 of them) on wifi
I'll try the sleep thing... thanks

M

MacInWin

Yeah, the wireless thing is known. There are some things that work for some, but not everybody. Turning off Bluetooth is one, deleting a certain Bluetooth related .plist is another, eliminating all known networks and establishing a new location, then reconnecting to the network is yet another. Bottom line, it's a problem Apple needs to fix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You said "ethernet." Most connection problems on wake up with Mavericks are wireless related.

Pardon me for butting in... is this a widespread problem? I was having an aggravating issue with my iMac locking up after being asleep for a short bit, and I eventually narrowed it down to either the firmware on my Time Capsule (the most recent version was for Mavericks compatibility), the Wake on LAN option in Mavericks, or a combo of the 2. I've had no issues since disabling WOL and rolling back the firmware on the TC, though the TC has since died and a new one is in place as of last week. I've been debating whether I should re-enable WOL now to see if the replacement solved it.

M

MacInWin

Not with wired connections, but with WiFi it's a known issue. I saw two articles on Mac sites just today on the topic, neither of which suggested a permanent fix. My fix was to not let the CPU sleep at all so that it stays connected, which works because I'm almost always on mains power. If you search for "wifi mavericks sleep" you'll get a ton of hits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not with wired connections, but with WiFi it's a known issue. I saw two articles on Mac sites just today on the topic, neither of which suggested a permanent fix. My fix was to not let the CPU sleep at all so that it stays connected, which works because I'm almost always on mains power. If you search for "wifi mavericks sleep" you'll get a ton of hits.

Yeah, I had read some suggestions that the TC firmware update was at fault, and I had been having general problems with Time Machine backups since Mavericks, but after all this time and no update, I figured that wasn't the case. I hadn't seen anything about WOL being at fault, but I hadn't been looking for that in particular. I have WOL re-enabled, so it'll be interesting to see if the problem is a combo of the two or not.

Oh shoot, I forgot till just now... I was having the lockups while wired also. Well we'll see what comes of it. I'll plan on giving Apple feedback on it. It is pretty shameful that this still isn't fixed.

Reaction score
I am having on-going issues with wake-from-sleep, and have been ever since installing Mavericks. Both wi-fi and wired.
As someone said, this IS an issue, and the sooner Apple recognise this fact, the sooner they may fix it. But having spoken with Apple support, I don't get the impression it will be any time soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well so much for that on my side. Even with the new Time Capsule, I'm still having lockups with WOL enabled. Off to Apple's feedback page...

M

MacInWin

Look at MacWorld. They have a pretty complete article on the WakeUp problem and some solutions that work for some. Nothing has been found yet to work for everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Look at MacWorld. They have a pretty complete article on the WakeUp problem and some solutions that work for some. Nothing has been found yet to work for everyone.

Well I'm happy to report that it appears that 10.9.3 has resolved the issue for me. I re-enabled WOL this weekend and no lockups so far. I haven't tried a wired connection yet, but it's waking up smoothly on wi-fi.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.