Restoring Phone to Factory Settings- Sell Phone

Reaction score
The answer might be obvious or it might not be, but I'm just extra careful on this one. Anyway, I'm hoping the answer to this is 'No'

Before selling the iPhone I went into settings and 'Erased All Content and Settings' in the General menu. Is there anyway the person who bought the iPhone off me can go into iTunes somehow and restore it back to a point in time? That is, a point in time with my data on it. Or is there anyway that a person with 'hacker-aptitude' could somehow restore it back to a point in time whether iTunes or any means?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why not just attach your iPhone to your computer and then from iTunes select "reset iPhone" which will remove everything instead of erasing from Settings, General?

Anyway, I don't believe someone could restore your info unless they somehow had access to your backup information from either iCloud or your computer.

OP
S
Reaction score
If I knew resetting iPhone from iTunes was a safer option then I would have done it. Darn.

Hm...I don't use iCloud, so I'm fine with that.

What do you mean by backup information from my computer? I think I should also be fine with that one as well because the buyer has no access to my PERSONAL computer.

Am I right?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What do you mean by backup information from my computer? I think I should also be fine with that one as well because the buyer has no access to my PERSONAL computer.

Am I right?

Yes, you're correct. And it's not too late to do a reset of the iPhone using iTunes even after removing information via Settings, General.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.