Any recommendations for a NAS Device?

Reaction score
I'm in the market to replace my Network Attached Storage (NAS) device and would like recommendations. Here's what I need it to support:

Both CIFS and AFP protocols.
Time Machine for Mavericks and Snow Leopard
RAID1
Easily replaceable disks (though hot-replacement not required)
Disks off-the-shelf rather than through vendor only
Cloud access to selected data
Multiple computer and user access, with appropriate security
Easy to manage
Good price, in the $200-400 for 4 TB (2 TB protected)

I'm looking at the WD My Cloud Ex2 as a possibility. I'm replacing a Iomega (now LenovoEMC) Storecenter X2. They have poor support for Macs and they supply replacement disks, which post-warrantee are expensive.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

OP
C
Reaction score
I've decided to purchase a Time Capsule and use that to back up my Macs. My current NAS device is sufficient for raid protected storage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro early 2012running Mavericks,MacMini Core i7 running Mavericks: iPhone 4s, iPad 3rd Gen
Did you get this yet ?
I am currently unable to use my Dlink share center Nas since upgrading to Mavericks
It looks like I am going to have to buy a new Nas so I wonder which works with Mavericks and which do not

I had tried all the usual things (like forcing Mavericks to use smb1) to get my Dlink share center recognized but never succeeded

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I have an old Netgear ReadyNAS that works fine with Mavericks and Windows and a bunch of other devices through DLNA..

What kind of specific issues are you having with your current NAS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro early 2012running Mavericks,MacMini Core i7 running Mavericks: iPhone 4s, iPad 3rd Gen
My Dlink ShareCenter 320L will not accept the Username or Password
Even before it asks for the log, in it takes ages to find the NAS

Windows sees it everytime and allows me to log in without fail and share the drives.

I had this working fine in Mountain Lion but as soon as I idid a clean instal of Mavericks, it just refuses to sign in

I can use the browser to log in to the ip address of 192.168.0.32 and use the web interface installed on the NAS

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you connecting to the NAS using SMB or AFP or NFS? Windows is using SMB, so you should try that route on the Mac as well to keep things consistent..

I use SMB from all of my machines with the NAS and it works fine..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use smb but have tried afp also but nothing works
I use Ctr K and enter smb://192.168.0.32

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have a username associated with NAS, you should try smb://<username>@192.168.0.32 and see if you get the password prompt..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried as you suggested and then it throws up a sign in box with the user name inserted but when I add the password, it fails to make a connection.
I have the latest update of Mavericks installed now hoping that would solve it but no !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.