Looking To Get An IPad Mini HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac, MacBook White, IPod, IPad (Well I WANT An IPad)
So I am looking to get an IPad Mini.

I MAINLY wanted to get it for ONE reason- and that is because I am going on a road trip, and I will be video blogging. However there is ONE thing I do not like about Apple all the choices- it makes it quite hard to choose (Dont get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE My Apple products).

(Main Question)
So as I said I was going to be video blogging my trip- it would be a 10-12 hour trip. I have a 16Gigsaved in my wishlist on an Apple Product Retailer, and was wondering if 16 Gigs is enough for some video?!

I mean obviously I will have some other uses for the IPad; School, personal work, stuff like that...

(Secondary Question)
As I said I would be using it for school... Does an IPad have some sort of Word processor on it like Pages? What other useful Apps come pre installed on an IPad Mini?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
(Main Question)
So as I said I was going to be video blogging my trip- it would be a 10-12 hour trip. I have a 16Gigsaved in my wishlist on an Apple Product Retailer, and was wondering if 16 Gigs is enough for some video?!

Well that all depends on how much video you plan to shoot, as well as what else you have stored on the iPad. It may be best to have a plan in place to offload some of your video as needed, either to a cloud service (Copy.com offers something like 20 GB for free), or to a laptop.

(Secondary Question)
As I said I would be using it for school... Does an IPad have some sort of Word processor on it like Pages? What other useful Apps come pre installed on an IPad Mini?

Yes. Pages. And it'd be free with a new purchase of an iDevice.
https://www.apple.com/ios/pages/

As for other useful apps... well that depends on what you consider useful. You have a voice recorder; calendar; reminders; clock with timer, alarm, and other features, etc etc.
https://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/built-in-apps/

OP
vishious
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac, MacBook White, IPod, IPad (Well I WANT An IPad)
Well that all depends on how much video you plan to shoot, as well as what else you have stored on the iPad. It may be best to have a plan in place to offload some of your video as needed, either to a cloud service (Copy.com offers something like 20 GB for free), or to a laptop.

Yes. Pages. And it'd be free with a new purchase of an iDevice.
https://www.apple.com/ios/pages/

As for other useful apps... well that depends on what you consider useful. You have a voice recorder; calendar; reminders; clock with timer, alarm, and other features, etc etc.
https://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/built-in-apps/

AH! Thank you for the prompt reply my friend! It would be like 10 minute videos each maybe? I dont know somewhere in that time frame.

I would NOT have much on it. I mean I have my 32 gig IPod for music. And my IPod is for music and pictures only. I dont do video on that thing.

I wanted something where I can easily see and push record on when I felt I wanted to start a video.

AND! Can you tell me more about "Copy.com"? That sounds useful.

If not I will just use my WordPress to dump my stuff on.

As far as useful Apps I mean stuff like Pages. A Voice recorder can come in handy so I can record lectures. Can you run say a voice recorder AS you are typing in Pages?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
AH! Thank you for the prompt reply my friend! It would be like 10 minute videos each maybe? I dont know somewhere in that time frame.

I would NOT have much on it. I mean I have my 32 gig IPod for music. And my IPod is for music and pictures only. I dont do video on that thing.

I wanted something where I can easily see and push record on when I felt I wanted to start a video.

As long as you put a minimum of apps on there (especially avoid games that take up a lot of space), then for your 12 hour road trip, I think you should be ok with the 16GB version. The downside is that if our estimates are off, it'd be too late to do anything about it.

AND! Can you tell me more about "Copy.com"? That sounds useful.

It's a cloud storage service, similar to DropBox. You get 15GB for free. An additional 5GB if you use a referral code, or if you refer someone and they use your code. Here's mine if you decide it interests you:
https://copy.com?r=PEWtKq

Basically you'd have to set the app up on your iPad. If you want to upload a video, open the app and do so from there. You can then delete it off your iPad to make room. I'm just not sure how long it may take to upload a video, especially over cellular data while on the go. It's not a viable option to do in a pinch.

EDIT: I just uploaded a minute-long video I had on my iPhone.... that took about 3 minutes to go to the Copy cloud and sync back to my desktop.

As far as useful Apps I mean stuff like Pages. A Voice recorder can come in handy so I can record lectures. Can you run say a voice recorder AS you are typing in Pages?

Nope.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Copy is a cloud service like Dropbox or OneDrive. Copy gives you 15GB free which is more than any other services except for Google Drive which is also 15GB (which is shared with GMail and other services but if you had a separate account and all you used it for was Drive, you'd have 15GB). Effectively, your files are stored on the servers of the service you used and not on your device. You can access the files through their respective apps. The upside to this is that your files are accessible anywhere you have an internet connection. The downside is that you need an internet connection (which might be frustrating if you're on the road and don't have a data connection).

EDIT: lifeisabeach types faster than I. ;)

C

chas_m

As much as I love Copy.com, videos are big files to upload and if you're travelling someplace where you are reliant on paid Internet cafes or otherwise don't have access all the time to fast, stable Wi-Fi, using a cloud service to store the videos may not be the best idea. If this isn't going to be an issue, then by all means grab some copy.com love, even if you only use it to backup those valuable video files!

Because you're shooting video, I'm going to suggest you spring for the 32GB iPad. Video takes up a lot of space, since it shoots natively in HD resolution. I'd also suggest you use a video editor to trim your footage to just the good stuff each day, so you have a) less to upload and b) more room for more footage later.

Also, I believe that Notability is an app that lets you both record audio AND type simultaneously. It's designed for classroom use, primarily, but its handy.

When I write in Pages or some other word processor, I tend to use Voice Dictation which means you can't simultaneously write and record, but for my purposes, it saves me a lot of time even though I'm a pretty fast typist.

Geez, remember when knowing what your WPM score was an important thing? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
For writing/recording voice I have found the new version of Write for iPad does excellent Dictation. I read out a whole page of a book as a trial, and it missed 3 words. Using punctuation works beautifully as well. It has a nice easy clean UI and so easy to start a new Note. I use it quite a lot now, as the Mac version is in Beta Stage, and does MD very well.
But Notability is a great App as well.

C

chas_m

The dictation you are referring to in Write for iPad is, in fact, the built-in dictation of iOS 7. It works on any app that accepts text. I use it mostly for email.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.