Rate my new iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking different... iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, 10.5 - Leopard
I just brought a new iMac G5 17" - and I don't know much about computers, can you tell me what the highlighted items mean:

1.6 GHz PowerPC G5
OS X 10.4 Tiger
1GB PC3200 (400MHz) DDR SDRAM
400GB HD Serial ATA; 7200 rpm
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra with 64MB DDR SDRAM with AGP 8X support
56K internal modem
Apple Care 3 year Extended Warranty
Airport Extreme Card Installed
Airport Express Base Station

Monster Airport Express Stereo Cable
USB A to B Cable

Plus, I bought the computer from an Apple Reseller on eBay and he said he would load the 400MB Hard Drive with 20,000 MP3s. Is this legal?

M

MJGUK

1) That is 1Gig (Size/Amount) of PC3200 DDR SDRAM.....this is your computer's random access memory and is used to store things like temporary files when loading applications. If you multitask a lot, a lot of RAM is very useful.

2) This is your graphics card. Namely an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 ULTRA with 64megs of onboard RAM. This should provide you with a decent graphics solution, I used one of these cards in one of my boxes a few years ago and it is pretty decent for most things.

3) Airport Extreme Card is your Wireless Networking card, operating on the 802.11b standard wireless connection, this means that your new Mac can talk to other computers, through networks.

4) An Airport Express Base Station gives you the ability to connect any of your hi-fi/stereo systems up to your mac, via wireless networking. Meaning you can play music off your computers, onto your stereo. It will also act as a wireless networking base station or repeater.

Good luck,

OP
JeffreyLloyd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome! Thanks man!

I

imacdoyou

sounds like a great system, but I don't thinkt the mp3's would be legal. but then again, that's a lot of music!

I

iMacTravis

Very nice system!

The mp3 thing is quite illegal unless you actually bought the music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost?

OP
JeffreyLloyd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
X

xbrian87

That is a horrible deal. I paid $1500 about for my 17" Intel Duo iMac with a RAM upgrade to 1.5gb (from 512mb).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
JeffreyLloyd said:
Plus, I bought the computer from an Apple Reseller on eBay and he said he would load the 400MB Hard Drive with 20,000 MP3s. Is this legal?
I would highly doubt the legality of that. Especially since its from eBay.

OP
JeffreyLloyd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I want the keep the computer... so should I just delete the iTunes Library once i get it?

OP
JeffreyLloyd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
xbrian87 said:
That is a horrible deal. I paid $1500 about for my 17" Intel Duo iMac with a RAM upgrade to 1.5gb (from 512mb).

Ouch!

T

Tiranis

I don't understand why you didn't do any research before buying on eBay... :-\ You just paid $1900 for something that should cost around $1000 to $1200. You should never buy from eBay without verifying that you're getting a good deal.

Oh, well, it's too late now… and it's still an iMac. ;)

I

imacdoyou

Yep, sounds high.....I just bought a 20" Imac G5 with Isight from ebay for 1399.00 brand new in the box. Also includes a 150.00 rebate which drops my price to 1249.00......but it's from a reputable dealer with over 600 transactions and a 99.7 rating so I went for it. You can get good deals on ebay, but you can also get hosed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
While the price is a little steep, take comfort in the thought that you also have 3 years Applecare, a 400GB hard-drive and an airport base station, because neither of the above are normally included with systems. ;)

I hope you enjoy your new system :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.