Contacts won't update/sync on iCloud

Reaction score
I have an iPhone5s and a mac book pro (2011)- both updated to the latest. Recently I checked on iCloud to be sure that my contacts are synced properly...and it is not.
I had no storage for backup on iCloud but I emptied space by deleting the photos from iCloud and backup again. turned my phone on and off also. BUT my contacts on the iCloud and on the iPhone won't match.
I have contacts selected to be backed up on iCloud everywhere on my iPhone but still there are names on iPhone that are not found on iCloud.
what else do I need to do???

OP
Q
Reaction score
You said that you turned on Contacts sync on your iPhone. How about your Mac?

I don't know where I am supposed to check my contacts on my MAC beside on iCloud.com- is there a turn on /off button on computer for that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
System Preferences, iCloud, Contacts. Place a check in the "contacts" box and make sure your iPhone has WiFi turned on.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Finally found the problem:
Following everyone's recommendation made me to realize there is a contact application on my MAC that I never had used before.
I only checked the contact on my phone + iCloud.com + Google.
There was an account setting- and it was set to be synced with my google email.
Apparently once I change my google email password , I must come back here and update the password as well. That step was missed.
Everything is working now.
Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 imac OS10.10.2 + 2009 MacBook Pro OS10.10.2
Hello everyone, I've recently upgraded my Mac's and have the same problem - Contacts will not upload to icloud. Prior to the OS upgrades I only had access to the cloud on my iphone, which had a few numbers input on my phone. All my business contacts were on my non-Cloud using Macbookpro, most originally created in Entourage, but transfered via .vcf card to Mac Mail's address book a couple of years ago. There are around 2,000 entries, separated into numerous sub folders for business, family, societies etc.

I now have a brand new OS10.10 imac (no addresses on it at all), and have updated my Macbook pro to OS10.10. I've checked all the account settings on my macbookpro - icloud is default for Contacts, and is selected in the Mac Accounts system prefs. I've tried switching these on and off and restarting the mac, but still nothing appears on the cloud. Thinking there might be some kind of interference from the handful of numbers on my iphone I deleted all the addresses on the cloud, so there's nothing on the cloud at all now. Icloud appears on the macbook Contacts menu, but it remains empty.

I only have one Apple account, so there's no problem there.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.