Links From Emails Not Working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac, High Sierra, 32 GB Memory
I use the mail program that is included with Mavericks. A lot of times when I click on a link that is included in an email, Safari opens up but can't connect to the page because the URL starts with "click." I try to modify it by deleting the "click" part, but it still won't work.

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?

M

MacInWin

1. Don't click on links in emails unless it's from some you REALLY, REALLY trust. 'Tain't safe.
2. Thy may be bad URLs.
3. Reread number 1.
4. Reread number 1.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
1. Don't click on links in emails unless it's from some you REALLY, REALLY trust. 'Tain't safe.
2. Thy may be bad URLs.
3. Reread number 1.
4. Reread number 1.

MacInWin I appreciate the wisdom of what you say but the practise of sending links in emails is pretty much a given these days. Including the email notifications I receive for threads I have subscribed to on this forum.
Having said that I just did a search of my emails for, Message Contains "Click" and I can't find any URL links that start with click...
Thumpernator what sort of links are these? Just curious:(

M

MacInWin

Well, to each his own. I never, ever click on a link, even one from this website. If I want to go there, I note which forum, then go there on my own. I guess I'm just a suspicious old cur. My FIL once called me because his PC had slowed. He ALWAYS clicked on every link. I got his machine, it had 7,000+ infected files on it. Took weeks to get it all eradicated.

I suspect that the "click" links from the OP are advertising and somebody in the middle is getting money for his clicks, but I can't find "proof" of that. Rule #1 still applies.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These are links from places like my Credit Union, Lowes, Georgia Carry Inc, etc. They are all from trusted sites.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I placed an online order from Best Buy, got an email from them with the confirmation info. It had a link to check on the status and it came up with that "click" stuff. I've also seen this on my iPad.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I placed an online order from Best Buy, got an email from them with the confirmation info. It had a link to check on the status and it came up with that "click" stuff. I've also seen this on my iPad.

This is starting to sound a bit odd, I dont use Safari much and I don't subscribe to any of the mentioned sites so what happens if you copy and paste the link into Safari or a different browser?

M

MacInWin

These are links from places like my Credit Union, Lowes, Georgia Carry Inc, etc. They are all from trusted sites.
They LOOK like they are from places you can trust. And so far, you've been lucky.

Rule #1 applies.

But I'll leave it to you and Rod to figure it out.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is starting to sound a bit odd, I dont use Safari much and I don't subscribe to any of the mentioned sites so what happens if you copy and paste the link into Safari or a different browser?

Works the same way with Firefox. If I hover my curser over the link the URL will display but I can't copy and past it. The displayed URL shows the word "click" at the beginning.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So when you right click on the link you dont get "Copy Link"??

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Didn't try the right click. Did that and yes, got the Copy Link. Here is what the link looks like. I deleted a long string of numbers and such at the end of the URL.

Redirect Link

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Didn't try the right click. Did that and yes, got the Copy Link. Here is what the link looks like. I deleted a long string of numbers and such at the end of the URL.

click.emailinfo2.bestbuy.com

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hard for me to duplicate without the long string of numbers but I suspect they are identifiers particular to you. It may well be that there is a third party at work here like a market research site. Try copying the whole address, paste into your browser and delete the click part an return.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hard for me to duplicate without the long string of numbers but I suspect they are identifiers particular to you. It may well be that there is a third party at work here like a market research site. Try copying the whole address, paste into your browser and delete the click part an return.

Doing that at least goes to the main site. It did not go to the page within that site for the information the link was for. I tried it on the Best Buy email. It was supposed to show me the status of my order, but just went to the Home Page for Best Buy.

I only get this "click" thing on my Apple stuff. Doesn't do it on my Windows machine. That's why I wondered if there's something going on with the Mac and iPad operating systems.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

In addition to the above when I paste your example in a browser "click.emailinfo2.bestbuy.com" it takes me to a search page and this is the result I get;
click.emailinfo2.bestbuy.com | WOT Reputation Scorecard ...
https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/click.emailinfo2.bestbuy.com‎
WOT scorecard provides crowdsourced online ratings & reviews for click.emailinfo2.bestbuy.com.

So I defer as usual to my betters, MacInWin is probably correct some sort of third part collecting info on you, not exactly phishing but close to it.:eek:

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bet you guys are right. Thanks for the help. I wonder if the link is supposed to give them info and then redirect me to the correct page? Kinda looks that way.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bet you guys are right. Thanks for the help. I wonder if the link is supposed to give them info and then redirect me to the correct page? Kinda looks that way.

Yep, nothing like a healthy dose of paranoia.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.