Mac Mini slower that Mac latops?

Reaction score
I'm a voice over artist and work with a LOT of audio files. Occasionally, these are very large audio files (10+ GB). I'm working on a Win7 PC right now and it's getting on my nerves.

I believe a Mac Mini would fit my needs, but I'm a bit concerned/confused by a review I read on MacWorld - "The Mac mini won’t set any speed records—it's among the slowest Macs in Apple's lineup."

From what I can see, the Mac Mini has the same processor as a MacBook Pro and can be configured to have more memory.

Mac Mini - 2.5GHz dual-core Core i5 CPU, 4 GB of memory (upgradable to 16 GB)

Mac Book Pro - 2.5GHz dual-core Core i5 CPU, 4 GB of memory (upgradable to 8 GB)

I can get the Mini with the 2.3GHz quad-core Core i7 processor for a few more bucks and still get the 16 GB of memory. The same site says the Mac Book Pro with the Core i7 processor and 8 GB of memory "combine to produce impressive performance.

Am I missing something? How would the Mini, with the same processor and more memory be among the slowest Mac's available? Or are they only saying that a Mini with the basic config would be slower than other Mac's?

Thanks in advance,

D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Am I missing something? How would the Mini, with the same processor and more memory be among the slowest Mac's available? Or are they only saying that a Mini with the basic config would be slower than other Mac's?

Yes, that's what they base their results on. Be sure during your evaluation of both the Mini and MacBook Pro that you consider what graphics capability the machines have. There's a very large difference in speed (benchmark) between a Mini with integrated graphics and a MacBook Pro with discrete graphics. A MacBook Pro which has discrete graphics is much more expensive though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.