OS Maverick or Not

Reaction score
Is it a good idea to upgrade from Lion to Maverick? I have read some not-so-good reviews about Maverick. I am tempted to upgrade….. Should I? Let me add that I am very happy with my Lion….

Thanks

M

MacInWin

Which Mac do you own? Once we know that, we can say whether or not Mavericks will even run on your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Rule one ignore 90% of what you read on the 'net. If your Mac can handle Mavericks, it is a faster operating system than Lion.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks MacInWin/harryb2448

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina Display) that I bought in Jan 2013.

Processor - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory - 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
HDD - 512 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
OS X 10.8.5

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Many are advising a clean install. I did a clean install when I moved from a regular hard drive to an SSD. Prior too that I think I installed Mavericks via an upgrade. Haven't had problems either way.

If you are experiencing any kind of system hiccups try a clean install. Otherwise you are probably OK with an upgrade. In both cases the installer comes from the app store.

M

MacInWin

I've done both and both seem to work well. The one big advantage of a backup/clean install/restore is that it takes care of any disk fragmentation that may have built up over time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I always do a clean install. Download Mavericks and make a bootable 8GB USB thumb drive and use it like a normal DVD, hold down 'C' etc.

OP
H
Reaction score
Many are advising a clean install. I did a clean install when I moved from a regular hard drive to an SSD. Prior too that I think I installed Mavericks via an upgrade. Haven't had problems either way.

If you are experiencing any kind of system hiccups try a clean install. Otherwise you are probably OK with an upgrade. In both cases the installer comes from the app store.

Thanks!!

OP
H
Reaction score
Update:

I upgraded to Mavericks 2 days ago without any issues at all. The download took roughly 14mins, and the install ran for about 25mins. Rebooted, and all has been well (knock wood).

I notice improved speed in the performance, as well as the new features.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

C

chas_m

Wait till you check out how much more battery life you have now. I got an extra HOUR off this old 2009 unit!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.