mac mini a1103 OS Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1.1 desktop, Mac Mini 2005, Mac G5 desktop
when I turn on my Mini Mac the gray field with the apple logo pops up with the loading symbol running. Problem is the OS doesn't load it just keeps running. Is this a hardware issue or OS issue?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
More info is needed. Which version of OS X is it running? If Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks, try holding down the Command key and the R key on reboot. That will get you into recovery where you can check the hard drive with Disk Utility. If you're running an earlier version of OS X you'll need your original startup install disk to boot with.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe it has OS X 10.4 Tiger, I also have tried command +R as well as command +P but still nothing other than the gray field with Apple logo and the running symbol. Thanks for any help you can give.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot, I also tried to load the OS disk but it wouldn't accept it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you using the correct disk for your Mini? If it's running Tiger, you'll need the original Tiger disk that came with the Mini or a retail Tiger disk. If that doesn't work to boot the machine then it could be the optical drive is not working or there's some other problem such as a failed hard drive.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the information, I have a retail OS but the drive will not open up to accept it. Is there a manual open and close for the drive? Maybe if I can get it to accept a disk it will re-install the OS.
John

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not familiar with your G4 Mini but I don't believe the slot loading drive on it has a manual release as do tray loaders. With all the problems you've stated, it may be time to think about getting a newer Mac.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks much for the assistance, maybe you are right in that it may be time for a new machine. I may try an external drive however before I start stripping it out. Again, many thanks.
John

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.