changing default /Users dir when adding an SSD

Reaction score
I am planning on adding an ssd to a mac mini. I want my system and applications to reside on the ssd drive and keep all the User directories on the HDD. I know I can change the user directory for a single user in the advanced settings in the User&Groups System Preferences but I would also like to change the default User directory any new users created in the future. Is this possible? I keep hearing about people adding an ssd and moving the system it. So I guess I need help with that in general.

john

M

MacInWin

I don't know if you can change the default for new users, but I do have one comment on the idea of moving your home directory to a non-boot drive. You can do that, and it mostly works, but some applications assume that the home directory is on the boot drive and insist on putting files there. I don't know all the applications that work that way, but I do know that there are some, I experienced it personally with Calibre and one other that I cannot remember. I ended up moving my iTunes library to the second internal drive but keeping my home directory on the boot drive just to avoid the hassle when I did find one of these applications.

Also, I suggest that you put the SSD as the boot drive with system and applications on it. You'll appreciate the increase is speed to boot and open applications. Move the internal spinning HD to the "second" drive position and let it be for storage of less used data files and iTunes library. When I download a video I put it on the second drive, not the boot drive, for example.

C

chas_m

If you would like a LOT less hassle to accomplish the same ends, forget about this plan and instead move just your media libraries (iPhoto and iTunes, primarily) to the hard drive, leaving the rest on the SSD.

OP
C
Reaction score
can I change location of pictures, documents or music directories

Let's assume I do move the home directory to the ssd. is it possible to change the location of the user pictures, movies, and documents to the HDD? Maybe using software or hard links?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's assume I do move the home directory to the ssd. is it possible to change the location of the user pictures, movies, and documents to the HDD? Maybe using software or hard links?

You can move all the above to the hard drive. The Apple knowledge base has very good instructions on how to move your media libraries (iTunes and iPhoto). You do not need special software to do it. All you really need to do for movies and documents is provide the proper path to their location in whatever programs you're using for them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.