Bad Hard drive or not?

Reaction score
I just can't figure this one out. Went to the Apple Store for a fan issue and as it turns out fan is great, but they claimed my hard drive (only 2 years old) is failing. However I wanted a second opinion and ran Tech Tools Pro (which included surface scan & SMART scans) and it reported the HD is fine. The apple diagnostic test tested the entire Macbook in less than 5 minutes while Tech Tools took at least 2 hours focusing only on the HD. I just do not know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
We aren't going to be able to figure this one out either until you tell us what problems you are actually having.

OP
E
Reaction score
We aren't going to be able to figure this one out either until you tell us what problems you are actually having.

None I just brought it in to check on the fan as sometimes the fan does run allot, however after I did a SMC reset that problem went away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
None I just brought it in to check on the fan as sometimes the fan does run allot, however after I did a SMC reset that problem went away.

Well in my opinion, TechTool's surface scan is as definitive as it gets. You can do more thorough SMART testing if you like with software that can do a more detailed analysis of the SMART data. See my tutorial on how to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Apple Reseller or a genuine Apple Store?

If it is a Reseller and anything like my local ~ give it a miss.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.