Haven't they got the message yet?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Reading my Melbourne news on line in Indonesia I am surprised the number of house breakins where iPhones are stolen.
As the criminal element is pretty quick to pick up on trends re security why would they bother. iOS 7 made it almost impossible to erase or restore a second hand iPhone without login code and Apple ID not to mention fingerprint recognition. Maybe useful for parts but surely next to worthless for that. Why bother?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As the criminal element is pretty quick to pick up on trends re security why would they bother.
This assumes that most do. ;)

iOS 7 made it almost impossible to erase or restore a second hand iPhone without login code and Apple ID not to mention fingerprint recognition.
Only if these features are available (TouchID for example) and enabled. Security tools are only as good as their use.

C

chas_m

EXACTLY. Friend of mine had his MacBook Pro stolen right out of his house as he slept (forgot to lock the door). Did he have find my Mac turned on? OF COURSE NOT. Password on when the machine goes to sleep? DON'T BE SILLY. A recent backup? PSHAW.

He's learned an expensive lesson, suffice to say.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
EXACTLY. Friend of mine had his MacBook Pro stolen right out of his house as he slept (forgot to lock the door). Did he have find my Mac turned on? OF COURSE NOT. Password on when the machine goes to sleep? DON'T BE SILLY. A recent backup? PSHAW.

He's learned an expensive lesson, suffice to say.

Oh well, I guess they are still worth stealing. Silly me, I just thought people would avail themselves of the simple security measures Apple practically forces on us. I friend of mine in Melbourne had his iPhone stolen at a petrol station took his wifes iPhone to the police, showed them his phone on Find My Device and they followed the signal to a local house where they found $10,000 + worth of other stolen property, drugs and weapons.
Bit of a feel good story that but that was before iOS7 an I didn't think the average crim was that stupid.:Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.