G5 PowerMac Quad wont sleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
llci to Mac Pro "26 Kids" all named Mac
I have 2 G5 PowerMacs one Dual 2.7 and a 2.5 Quad. Neither will sleep running 10.5.8 They will with 10.5.6 but when updating to 10.5.8 the sleep feature is gone they will sleep the displays but not the machine I know of others with the same issue' I've done all the so-called remedies on the Apple support threads and none work, Has anyone here experienced this.
John

OP
FatherTime
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
llci to Mac Pro "26 Kids" all named Mac
I have 2 G5 PowerMacs one Dual 2.7 and a 2.5 Quad. Neither will sleep running 10.5.8 They will with 10.5.6 but when updating to 10.5.8 the sleep feature is gone they will sleep the displays but not the machine I know of others with the same issue' I've done all the so-called remedies on the Apple support threads and none work, Has anyone here experienced this.
John

I want to share a post from Anwar Shiekh at Cube Owner on this issue it may help others>

Lost another big chunk of time on a lack of auto deep-sleep under 10.5.8

My G5 PowerMac (latest generation) would not auto deep-sleep (worked fine when done by hand) and that can cost a good chunk of money in electricity (~$100 a year as it idles around 130W, deep-sleeps at about 1/7th of this); turns out that the problem was introduced in 10.5.7 and not fixed in 10.5.8. It is probably a coincidence that the Energy Saver icon was an Edison bulb in 10.5.6, but moved to a CFL in 10.5.7. Earlier G5 PowerMac generations don't seem to suffer this fate, so this may not be of concern to Cube users.

P.S. Since writing this I have located two work arounds and one fix from the Web, all of which I have confirmed.

* Stick with 10.5.6 as mentioned above (but quite a lot changed from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8)

or

* Leave a disk in the DVD drive

I took the risk of over-riding the Apple firmware with the manufacturer's (LG), but that did not solve the problem; at least I managed not to brick the drive. However

* Using another model DVD drive (Apple System Profiler lists the problem drive as: HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4165B)

is all it took to resolve this issue. I tried an NEC 2100AD from another machine I had, and read that an LG GH22NP20 also solves the problem, and hope to try the Apple branded SONY DW-Q28A soon.

Makes one wonder about the wisdom of keeping old equipment running; $100 a year in electricity can soon add up to a new machine. Can't complain that life is not keeping me occupied.

Maybe we could start a list of Good and Bad drives with respect to this issue.
Andy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And certain hardware prevented sleep from activating. Particularly USB2/3 PCIe cards, eSATA cards etc. As you say FatherTime questionable maintaining such old machines alas. Hated parting with my Quad Core G5, let alone Mac Pro 2.1!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.