iMac won't start

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014)/27iMac .4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 Processor / iPhone5S, iPad 1
My iMac was hung up on the desktop. Nothing worked, keyboard, mouse

I rebooted with the power button now all I hear is the DVD drive and what sounds like a clicky hard drive.

Black screen nothing works

Repeated restarts, no chime just dvd running and funny Hard drive sound (grinding)

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should give us the specs for your iMac. What year and model do you have and which version of OS X are you running?

As far as the problem with your iMac not starting, it sounds like the hard drive has failed. It's likely you'll need to replace it. Have you been making backups?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014)/27iMac .4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 Processor / iPhone5S, iPad 1
21 inch iMac
iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8 GB ram

I backup regular and use an external hard drive for all my audio as this is my music computer in my recording studio

It has been a work horse so I figured it was the hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.