No reboot after installing Lion

Reaction score
I recently bought a lion osx code from apple and had a friend redeem it for me on his macbook. When I went to install it on my macbook, it went through the installation process twice, and then went back to the utilities window without rebooting. What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
You bought a code? How? Apple doesn't sell "codes". Please explain more of what you have.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why did you have your friend redeem it for you on his MacBook? Why not yours? And whose Apple ID was used to purchase Lion?

OP
F
Reaction score
It was my aunt's old MacBook. She sent it to me with a formatted hard drive. I had never purchased an OS on my apple account as I've never owned a MacBook before, so I had a friend redeem the code on his Mac with my account information. After it was added to my account, I went to install it on my MacBook. Sorry for the confusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Need much more information.

What model? The original MacBook can only run up to Snow Leopard OS X.6.8 ~ no Lion OS X.7 or later.

OP
F
Reaction score
I know my MacBook is compatible with lion 10.7, as that's what it chooses to install by default. When I start up, all that shows is Mac OS X Utilities. When I select "Reinstall Mac OS X", It tells me to click continue to set up the installation of Mac OS X 10.7. Then, I enter in my apple ID. After it the installation finishes, I'm sent back to OS X Utilities.

Reaction score
Please tell us what model of Macbook...

OP
F
Reaction score
The model number on the back is A1278. Unfortunately I can't get to the about this mac page from OS X Utilities.

Reaction score
Ok, that model is capable of running up to Mavericks. There's also a firmware update available when you get around to it.
When you bought/downloaded Lion, how did you make a bootable stick/disk? Or did you?

OP
F
Reaction score
I can't download mavericks because I can't access the app store. I can only use OS X disc utilties.

When I bought Lion, apple sent me a redeemable code in a PDF document. I asked my friend to redeem it for me using my account on his MacBook. Then, I was able to install lion. The problem is that when the install finishes, there's no reboot like it says. I'm just sent back to disc utilities.

Reaction score
You haven't answered the question... exactly how are you trying to install Lion?
DVD, USB stick, magic, how?

OP
F
Reaction score
I didn't use a disc or USB stick. I'm only using my apple account. I'll show you a video that shows what I am doing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0RQT9UiwkQ. The problem that I'm having is that after the installation is supposedly done, my computer doesn't restart like it says it's supposed to. It doesn't send me to the set up.

M

MacInWin

Let me ask the question a different way. You said your friend "redeemed" this code for you on your account. At that point the install file was on HIS machine. How did you get the install file to YOUR machine? USB, DVD, whatever?

You said:
I can't download mavericks because I can't access the app store.
if that's so, then how are you using your Apple ID? How did you get an Apple ID? And was did you mean when you said, "I'm only using my apple account?"

OP
F
Reaction score
As far as I understand, as long as lion has been installed using MY account, then I can use it on MY computer as long as I have my apple ID. It's not a USB, or a DISC. Lion was added to my Apple account. if you watch this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0RQT9UiwkQ), then you can see exactly what I'm doing. The problem is that the installation finishes but the computer does not restart. My Apple ID is the same as my Itunes account, which I created using my Windows laptop. I'm pretty sure that as soon as the code was redeemed on my account, then I can use it to install Lion 10.7 on any MacBook. Before my friend redeemed the code for me, I was told that I needed an Apple ID used to purchase Lion 10.7.

M

MacInWin

But HOW DID IT GET FROM HIS MACHINE TO YOURS? That's the ONE question you haven't answered.

EDIT: I watched the video, but what it shows is how to install from a recovery partition on an already existing system. That recovery partition appeared for the first time in Lion. So if you have a recovery partition from which to boot, then you have Lion (or later) already installed. But if the machine has Snow Leopard on it, there is no recovery partition. Either way, the video shows how to install from a downloaded version of Lion. What I think is most confusing is your use of the term "redeem." If you have an Apple ID, and if you purchased Lion on your Apple ID, and if you have access to the Internet and the Apple store (which the process in the video requires), then what is the redeem that your friend had to do? You should have been able to download Lion directly to your machine on your Apple ID.

And what the video doesn't show is that at the end of install you need to reboot. Have you tried holding down the option key as it shows at the beginning and selecting the other partition (not the recovery partition)?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm thoroughly confused as to what is going on with his download of Lion. Take over Jake. :p

OP
F
Reaction score
It's not a physical item. Yes, it was his machine, but he used MY account. It is a virtual file. once, again, it is a VIRTUAL file. I'm pretty sure it can be used more than once. Lion was added to MY ACCOUNT. I was able to start the installation without a DISC or a USB stick. It's done all online.

M

MacInWin

Power OFF the Mac. Power it on, holding the Option key down and keep it down until you get the option for which drive from which to boot. Select the one that should be labeled "Macintosh HD" and NOT Recovery Partition. Report back here how that goes. If you followed that process on the video, the Macintosh HD partition has Lion installed. (In fact, if you HAVE a recovery partition you already HAD Lion, but that's another story.) Let us know what happens with the process.

OP
F
Reaction score
Macintosh HD is not a choice. I only have Recovery HD. I do have macintosh HD when I go to reinstall, however.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.