usb to serial

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Back again.
We've got a Samsung smart tv, series 8 with a serial port for pc input, also a pc speaker input.
I can use a serial cable with my wifes win 8 computer along with the headphone cable from the phones jack to the 3.5 input on the tv, but what I'd like to do is use my 13.3" Macbook air which only has usb ports or thunderbolt.
Do any of you think I could use a usb to series adaptor succesfully, or am I wasting my time and $30.00 for an adaptor that's listed as a 1.1 usb.
Thanks.

C

chas_m

From what I've read, this TV has like three HDMI ports.

Buy onefor MiniDisplayPort that supports audio over HDMI (you didn't say what year your MBP was so I'm assuming its fairly new). Plug in and enjoy.

Supposedly there's a way to use AllShare on any iOS devices (if you have that) but the only one I see in the App Store is an unauthorized rip off.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Hi chas_m

Sorry for being so long. It's a mac book air, made in June 2013. I got it re-furbished from the apple store.

I found what I think is a mini display port. It's got a flash beside it, so I assume it's mdp or thunderbolt, is that right ?

Anyway, I've ordered a mdp to hdmi cable from a supplier known as "cable chick" here in Oz. I checked that it carries audio and video, so hopefully, I'll be up and running when it gets here.

Thanks for your help.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.