• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

my reason/excuse for upgrading from iPhone 4S to iPhone 5S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
I have had my 4S ever since they came out, my very first iPhone.

When the 5S came out, I had to try and think of a valid reason/excuse I could use to get one, I would love to get one, I dont fancy a wider screen at all.

My Wife has an iPad2 which she gets on very well with:) any phone she has, has to be very EASY TO USE !!!!

My Daughter visited us recently and came up with a brilliant suggestion that my wife couldn't argue with at all.

my Wife could have my 4S, because we all know she will be able to use it easily from day one, because as the daughter suggested, it'll be just like her iPad only a bit smaller !!!!

So now I can see my way clear to get a 5S !!!!! boy am I a very happy bunny :)

Tim

C

chas_m

You're going to be even happier when you discover that the display is not a single centimeter wider than your iPhone 4S was, only longer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Good choice!

Although, if you wait less than 6 months Apple will announce the iPhone 6. No guarantees, of course, but this is incredibly likely based on time frame of the past several years. But up to you if you can wait that long to see what the 6 has to offer.

Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation with my 4S, which still works fine but I can't find a decent wallet case for it. There is such a case for the 5S. Do I really want to hold out for a wider screen and then wait a year for cases to come out, and then find out that it won't fit in half my pockets? I already have a highly portable iPad Air and I want to be able to carry my phone in my pocket wrapped in a wallet case. So maybe the 5S form factor is ideal for me and there is no point waiting?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Nah, I couldn't wait for the 6 so I got a 5S the day before yesterday, the battery seems to go down pretty quickly, in landscape mode it is MUCH easier to read emails, messages and web pages, yeah, I will survive without the extra width of the next model :)

and of course it is much lighter. its taking me ages to figure out how to use all the extra bits and pieces, I am VERY reluctant to try the Finger Print, touch sensitive On button, what IF it doesnt work ?, do you always have to use EXACTLY the same part of the same finger to switch it on, it does seem to very risky. HOW CAN IT WORK at all ?

Tim

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When the touch doesn't work to unlock it, it will ask for your password instead - you don't get locked out - just make sure you remember your password. The first time mine wouldn't unlock with the password I was on a road trip and my computer's battery was dead. Had to find a coffee shop with wifi and electrical outlets to get into 1Password to retrieve the password for my phone.

Improving your battery life - mine had been going down to 30-40% in 24 hours - so had to charge it every day to day & a half. Check out chscag's thread from a few days ago. Head to his link and to the link lifeisabeach posted a little further down. Used the tips I wanted in those 2 articles and I've been sitting at 50-60% after 48 hours - still with wifi and bluetooth turned on 24/7.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Check out chscag's thread from a few days ago. Head to his link and to the link lifeisabeach posted a little further down.

Thanks a million "bobtomay" that article is fantastic, I read every word of what the Genius Bar chappie wrote.

I immediately made an appointment for the genius bar to get the Battery condition checked out ...... and ........ I suspect worse to come, because "Time since last full charge" Usage and Standby are both BLANK :(

Tim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.