• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

New Video Editor Suggestions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Hi!

I am planning to replace one of my two video editors soon. I use all Adobe produces. I currently have CS6 for Windows and Mac. My Windows backup editor is struggling to meet the demands of the newer versions of Premiere Pro and while my MBP does okay, its encoding times are too long. One hour of video takes at one hour to encode.

My main editor is a Windows 7 machine is a custom build done in 2008, with dual quad core Xeon processors on a Tyan server motherboard with 16Gb of DDR2 memory, one 1GB drive, 2- 500 GB drives all 7200 rpm and a slew of external USB 3.0 drives. It also has an NVidia GeForce GTX 570 video card with 2GB of Memory. On average, one hour of video takes less than 15 minutes to encode to a file. I also work in After Effects but this machine will struggle with large projects.

I create TV content, short videos for various projects, edit photos, create booklets, some graphics designing, etc. I use my main editor daily and there are days that both editors are working. Routinely, I edit and encode a minimum of 3 one-hour videos per week, one hour of audio per week, and a short 5-10 minute video. Some weeks it’s a whole lot more.

I am exploring getting an iMac 27" newest model with the following specs.
3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4X8GB
1TB Fusion Drive
Apple USB SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5

I realize this will be a $3400 investment with apple care. I debated over getting a new Mac Pro but that is a little more costly - $5200 for a modestly configured one. I am not really sure I want to be on the ground floor of the latest greatest but totally new design at that price...down the road maybe.

What I am asking is does anyone have any advice to offer as to what performance I can expect from the iMac specked above. Will it be able to put out the volume of work at the rate my main editor currently does. I would like to go all Mac but I need the speed. I want encoding times of at least 15 minutes or less per hour of video. Will it handle large After Effects project? Will an iMac be able to handle all that and at what level of efficiency?

Any advise or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.