Cursor freezing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5in, 2.7GHz Intel Core i5, Catalina OS X 10.15.7
I assume this is a software issue and I'm in dialogue with Apple support but they haven't been able to resolve so far. The problem is that when I'm working on a word document (in Pages) a spreadsheet (in Numbers) or even the body of an email, very occasionally my cursor freezes. This occurs when I move the wireless mouse from right to left to reposition the cursor on a previous part of the document to make a correction. The document "judders" and the cursor freezes, it takes about 45 seconds before it returns to normal (or immediately if I click on one of the arrows on the keyboard). Initially Apple support asked me to delete the mouse preferences to rebuild on reboot. This did not work so they asked for the mouse to be returned for testing, the muse was replaced but the problem persisted. A second replacement mouse was sent for me to test but this did not solve the issue either. The latest suggestion I was given was to reinstall the operating system (OS X) which I did but on testing today the problem still exists.
One interesting point to note is that whilst the mouse was in for testing I used a USB connected mouse and had no problem.
A completed one but someone might have a bright idea for me to try.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It may be a Blue Tooth issue if your wired mouse is working OK but the wireless one(s) are not. I wonder if Apple ever suggested trouble shooting Blue Tooth?

Do you have any other BT devices that you use besides the mouse? Even if it is on another machine nearby?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Freezing cursor

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I do have a Panasonic phone extension on my desk next to the iMac which operates on radio waves from base on the floor below. I will test out on some documents with this removed. It is quite difficult to replicate sometimes because it may only occur one or twice on say 2 pages of an A4 document. Will post feedback after test.
Regards,
Dannyboy22

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a further update, following the reinstallation of the OS X operating system which did not solve the freezing cursor problem, the Mac support team wanted me to try opening in Safe Mode, create a new account and test that - unfortunately this did not solve the problem either. I was then asked to locate from my Library: launch agents, launch daemons and start up items delete and close down to rebuild and retest - this did not solve it either. They didn't seem keen to pursue the bluetooth line of investigation given there is no problem with a USB connected mouse, but asked me to download a Capture Data file and send to them to diagnose from there. Hopefully they will come up with some software fix as I do not relish the machine being sent back for investigation (particularly as they are sealed units nowadays too).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.