Mail problem

Reaction score
I did upgrade to 10.9.2 Maverick to see if it would solve my problem with Mac Mail, but it didn't. When mail comes in it does not show as how many and when open it does not show.
I did all the rebuild, twice...
It looks like it need to be reinstall. Where do I find a new mail app?
Thanks
Gilbert

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Gilbert

It's probably my misunderstanding but I can't get a handle on the exact nature of the problem.

I presume that when you receive an email, it doesn't show in the Inbox or doesn't open or what. Or are you receiving the emails normally, but want the Inbox (and other mailboxes) to tell you the number in each one?

There are ways of altering the behaviour of mailboxes via Mail Preferences.

But to help, can you spell out in more detail what the problems are.. Enclose a screenshot if that would help.

OP
G
Reaction score
Each mailbox shows a number of new mail, like 6. Once the new mail has been open and deleted the number 6 is still there. Or there is new mail in but it does not who how many unless you open the folder.
Mail Preferences didn't make a difference.
Thanks,
Gilbert

OP
G
Reaction score
basically I need to open all mail folder to find if there is mail in it because the number of new mail in the folder is not displayed anymore.
I did trash the folder com. apple. mail in the Container/Library
The problem is the same...

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Dear Gilbert

Sorry for the delay. Been away.

I'm not sure how to assist you precisely, but have the following suggestions which you may have tried already as you sound very clued up.

Starting with simplest & working up from there:

Disc Utility, click on Mac HD and Repair Permissions.
Sounds like you've done this already? Click to highlight each Mailbox, then from Menu Bar choose Mailbox then Rebuild. If you've already tried this, then next step:-

Because there might be cache or other similar problems, Download OnyX from the Titanium website (Link: Titanium's Software • Index page).
This is a highly respected and safe product widely recommended on this forum. Make sure you download the version for Mavericks. After download, open in the usual way, enter your admin PW when asked.

You can get Onyx to check out your HD but I would cancel this bit and go straight to the Menu from which choose "Automation". Check all the boxes. This will clear out your caches, rebuild mailboxes and lots more.

At the end of the process, you will need to reboot. OnyX has sorted out many problems for many people. I hope it does for you. Report back.

Ian

OP
G
Reaction score
Well Ian, That didn't do it. The problem is the same. Mail notifications is still missing.
Isn't there a way to re-install the mail app all together? From scratch?
Thanks,
Gilbert

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry nothing helped.

I don't know of a way to re-install Mail only. Obviously one could do a complete re-install of Mavericks, which is free, provided you had a total backup such as Time Machine or one of the cloning software products such as SuperDuper or CCC from which you could copy back all your settings, documents etc.

I have tried my best to assist but your difficulties go beyond my experience. It's time to pass this on to others who could chime in with their bit.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.