• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

mac to apple tv AVI file

Reaction score
hi every one.

just wondering if there is a way that i can play my avi movie files from my mac to apple tv without having to convert them. my video camera only records AVI files. thanks in advance

kind regards
Craig.

C

chas_m

Depends on the generation of Apple TV we're talking about. Short version: probably not, but if its old enough there's probably a hack you can install if you're comfortable doing that sort of thing.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks, but not into hacking lol I'm afraid i will break something i may just have to convert all the movies .

and idea of a user friendly good movie converter?

thanks
craig.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Handbrake or Miro Video Converter will do the job nicely.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You might give Beamer a try. Haven't tried it too much personally but it's supposed to be able to play AVI files on the ATV without transcoding. Current version requires Mavericks. If you need an older version click the support link at the top of the page linked to above.

C

chas_m

Beamer will work, but it should be considered a short-term solution only, since it uses undocumented APIs and hacks to work. Apple will likely close those loopholes in a future update.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Beamer will work, but it should be considered a short-term solution only, since it uses undocumented APIs and hacks to work. Apple will likely close those loopholes in a future update.

That's good to know. I hadn't thought of that being an issue. I was looking at it as one way to cut down on transcoding. Probably won't save me time though since most of the stuff I have not in an iTunes native format needs editing anyway so not much of a time saver.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.