Good but cheap mac for coding/programming?

Reaction score
I need a mac that is would be mainly for coding/programming and internet browsing. I won't need it for any heavy video editing as I already have a home built one to do that. I just don't know what to do get as I am now just getting into macs.

Like do I NEED mavericks as my OS or can I go older. If I can go older what would be the oldest OS I could use for a decent experience

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you already have a keyboard, mouse, and monitor? If so, then a Mac Mini would be ideal for you. Take a look at the specs on line at the Apple on line store or visit a local Apple store to try one out.

C

chas_m

If you are "getting into Macs" because you want to code for iOS or OS X apps, then you REQUIRE a machine that can run the latest Xcode *and* will be able to run "the latest" version of Xcode for years to come.

Thus I would strongly recommend not mucking about with older machines. Get a new or refurb Mac mini (either the current model or the most recent past model). Cheap and heavily future-proofed, though if you're doing 3D game programming or development you might require something with more powerful graphics.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.