Hard Drive Capacity Confusion

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old 27" iMac desktop. The hard drive was replaced at an Apple Store due to a recall quite awhile ago. I'm trying to figure out the size of the hard drive they put in. When I go into "About This Mac" the hard drive is listed as 999GB. When I go into Finder, I see Macintosh HD with 999GB Capacity. However, I also see another "Drive" ("disk image" ??) with a listed capacity of 2TB. I don't understand the difference. Is the drive partitioned? How much capacity do I really have? Sorry if this is a basic question, but I'm confused. I think I attached a screenshot to help answer my question.
Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2014-04-20 13.55.48.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Looking at the General tab says it is 2TB with just over 594GB available.

OP
S
Reaction score
I don't see how I could have used 1.4TB of space on this drive. I have Time Machine setup to save backups on an external drive (which is not attached at the moment). Is it possible the guys at the Apple Store originally setup Time Machine to backup on the internal drive and that's what's taking up so much space? If so, how can I check?
I probably don't have more than 300GB of pictures and music stored on this computer. I don't have movies/video stored. Probably 50GB of other files besides the OS and Apps.
If somebody has a quick answer of how to figure out what is taking up so much space, that would be great. Otherwise, it will just remain a mystery or which I can live with.
Thanks

Screenshot 2014-04-20 15.25.18.png

OP
S
Reaction score
I am not able to eject the drive.
I can see the files on the drive.
I just checked and FileVault is on.
I also noticed the the "HLH" drive which is 1.4TB is listed under Users in the "Macintosh HD" drive. I'm not sure if that means anything. Screenshot attached.

Screenshot 2014-04-20 15.54.39.png

C

chas_m

Ah, more fun with Filevault most likely. Wretched program that nobody apart from CIA field operatives actually needs.

Can you take a screenshot of what Disk Utility reports for your boot drive? That will probably clear things up.

OP
S
Reaction score
Here's a snapshot of the boot drive.
I'm guessing my drive is only 1TB, but am confused why it states 2TB under the User HLH, and states I've used 1.4TB of the drive. The snapshot of the boot drive looks like correct usage of my system: (1TB drive, 400GB used).
I do appreciate the time you have spent on this issue, but definitely don't want to waste anybody's time since this doesn't seem to effect the performance of my machine. Maybe I should go on being blissfully ignorant. If this needs to be anymore involved, let's just chalk it up to a known unknown, as Rumsfeld might say.
One question: Is it worth shutting off Filevault?
Thanks again

Screenshot 2014-04-20 20.34.41.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
FileVault can be the very pits. Never ever forget the password........

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.