Ipad 1st/2nd for College

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am looking into purchasing an Ipad for college for primarily note-taking internet browsing, email, and netflix. Would a 1st/2nd gen ipad work well enough for this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would go for a third or fourth generation iPad instead. Faster processor and better ability to handle the latest version of iOS (7.1). While a 2nd generation iPad will work OK, a later model will last longer and would be better to run the latest apps.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree completely with Chscag for the reasons he gave. I am right now stuck with an iPad one. Only IOS 5 will run which limits many things including so many new apps will not install or run.

So for sure don't get an iPad One and if I were you I would skip the 2nd one also for the sake of the latest version of IOS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello everyone, I am looking into purchasing an Ipad for college for primarily note-taking internet browsing, email, and netflix. Would a 1st/2nd gen ipad work well enough for this?

Completely agree w/ the previous posts! First, forget about the first iPad; second, I have an iPad 2 (3 years now) which is running the latest version of iOS, so would work, but has a lousy camera, cannot do Siri (if you might want that feature), and is non-retina screen (along w/ the other minuses mentioned). I was about to buy an iPad Air but will wait until the next version is released just to see what Apple has updated. If $$ is not a major problem, then get the latest model possible - the current iPad Air would be an excellent choice - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
The last time I checked, you'd pay almost as much for a new iPad2 as for a newer version. Forget about the iPad1, as it's quite limited. I still have my iPad2, and it's okay, but why buy such an old version? If $$ is big concern get a reconditioned iPad3. If you are going to keep this for 4 years of college, you really do need the newer version. Good luck!

C

chas_m

Why on earth wouldn't you get the latest model iPad?? There's no huge savings to be gotten from buying a used one as far as I can see (maybe $100-200 at most, not worth it compared to the power, warranty, etc of a new one).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Have you looked at a iPad Mini ?? You grab one of them with 64GB and your away. Even look for in the Refurb Store

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.