On/Off labels no longer does anything since last iOS update

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Since iOS7 it has been possible to Go Settings > General > Accessibility > On/Off labels. This last feature, On/Off labels, created a vertical I on top the green icons.

This no longer works on my iPhone 5, my iPad Air or my wife's iPhone 5S since the last update. Have others found the same or is this somehow unique to me? In other words, am I doing something wrong? Can I get this function back?

Many thanks in advance..

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Ian this is still working for me and my wife. When did you last get an update? What version do you have currently?

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thanks Rod for your prompt and courteous response. I have iOS 7.1 on all devices and they tell me my software is up to date.

I only became aware of the change when iOS updated to 7.1. About a month ago I think.

It's not a big deal, I know that. I can live without it. I only became aware of the change very recently when I read a "tip" on a OS X website telling people how to switch on the I overlying the green icon. I thought, well I know that one, checked, and that's how I discovered my "loss". Toggling the On/Off switch does nothing.

I have tried hard booting and so on. No result. If you and the others are okay, it's a puzzle why it affects three completely different iOS7 devices of mine and my wife.

Life...

Ian

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, I believe we had the same update 7.1. We are using iPhone 4 but you said you have multiple devices so that shouldn't matter but it is a difference.
Just to satisfy my curiosity why did the website you mentioned suggest turning that function on.

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rod

The idea is that it is easier to recognise a "one" ie a vertical line running through the green icon versus a "zero" when the action is switched off. Sort of binary, "I" or "O". Said to enhance recognition or something. It does actually look quite nice.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.