Silent Videos

Reaction score
Running 21-in. iMac using OSX10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). Some in-text videos will have sound, some will not. YouTube videos are uniformly silent, with a speaker icon followed by an "X".

I suspect Flash may be the culprit but could be wrong. Anyway, I would appreciate any insight on this annoying problem and how to fix.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you suspect Flash, what version do you have installed? And have you tried downloading the latest? The latest version of Flash is 13.0.0.201. Open System Preferences and click on the Flash icon which should be in your "Other" category. After clicking on the Flash icon, go to the Advanced tab. That will show you which version is installed.

You can get the latest version of Flash from the Adobe site.

OP
C
Reaction score
Indeed, 13.0.0.201 is the version installed. Sometime in the past, I have authorized Adobe to send down and install the latest version whenever they want to. I just wonder if I should uninstall every instance of Flash I can find and download/install a fresh one.

If my problem turns out not to be Flash, do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.