Mac Pro Hanging Up

Reaction score
My Mac Pro, running Snow Leopard 10.6.8, keeps crashing with a gradient gray bar starting at the top and moving to the bottom of the screen and then a black box appears in the middle of the screen telling me I have to reboot. I have attached a jpg showing the error messages and I hope someone can decipher the error reporting message and what they mean and if that is my problem. Hopefully someone can decipher the code and can help me. Thanks.

Screen shot 2014-04-19 at 5.14.04 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Sounds like a kernel panic ~ sorry can't read the image just too small. KPs are usually hardware related. Installed new memory lately? Another consideration is a failing hard drive. Pop in your Snow Leopard disc, reboot and hold down 'C' immediately after the chime.

Leave the Installer when it boots, go to Utilities > Disk Utility > Repair Disk and see what is reported. Also if you have the original DVD that came with the Mac Pro you can run Apple Hardware Test which checks the memory, drive, graphics, CPU etc.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks.
Did the repair disk a few days ago and it showed ok. I will dig up the original disk and do the Apple Hardware test and hopefully that will tell me what is going on. However I think at this time I better make a duplicate of my hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What? You don't have at least a fortnightly backup on an external? You do live dangerously.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.