Parallels with specific software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MBP 2015
Due to a disease I have to run a Windows program in order to obtain data from a monitoring device. How can I determine if this particular software that is made simply for removing data from a particular medical device will run under a parallels - windows environment? I have no intention of running any other windows software and I am even going to disconnect from the internet anytime I am using the windows environment! Thanks,

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Parallels will provide a very nice environment for Windows to run and by virtue of that, any of the applications you want.

What needs to be confirmed is how the software expects to interface to this monitoring device. Does it need to be physically connected to a USB or other port? Does it connect over a WiFi network or something?

OP
Luvntravln
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MBP 2015
Hi, Connects through either USB or Bluetooth.

All hints about the easiest way to set this up appreciated.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's USB, then it likely has a Windows driver that goes along with it. I've found that both Parallels and VMWare Fusion do a fabulous job of dealing with USB devices, but there might still be gaps with devices that do interesting things..

I have less experience using Bluetooth with my VMs, so I can't comment on the issues revolving that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I have a somewhat similar requirement for a single Windows-only application: I need to run CorelDRAW X3, to be able to access a large collection of files.

I've used VirtualBox for a long time, before I switched to Mac (from Linux), and decided to try Parallels, so I bought IIRC, v.7 ... I found it remarkably intrusive, permeating the entire OSX system (well, that's the idea, I suppose), and removed it completely shortly thereafter, going back to tried and tested VirtualBox.

The WinXP 'machine' I run in VB, is not allowed online, so no worries about viruses etc, and does the job.

I suggest that, for a single app to link a device, VB is more than sufficient, in fact you might even get away with WINE, but VB is simpler to use and is guaranteed to work, plus it's free ;)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've used VB, Parallels and VMWare Fusion on my Mac and have settled on VMWare Fusion and find that or Parellels to be the best integrated into OS X. While VB does work to run applications, then moment you need to interface to devices on USB/Bluetooth or something else you're going to have work to make it work..:)

I'm not sure what Parallels did to "permeate" the entire OS X system since it's just an application that doesn't do anything when it isn't running..

OP
Luvntravln
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MBP 2015
Right, wrong, or otherwise I have now installed P9 + W8.1. The installation was simple and clean; I accepted all defaults for the moment and told P9 to run like a Mac in all respects.

Internet/virus: When connected to the internet and not using the P9 interface should I simply close it rather than keep it in the dock? If it is in the dock does that mean in effect that P9/W8.1 is on and running and open to the internet? The installation added a few icons to the top of the screen; one is the network icon which is indicating that the network does not have any internet access.

P9/W8.1: Any specific settings that are recommended to make things run smoother?

Now it is time to load my medical program; anything special I need to do other than have P9 open and docked?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I've used VB, Parallels and VMWare Fusion on my Mac and have settled on VMWare Fusion and find that or Parellels to be the best integrated into OS X.

No argument there, however for me that was a big NEGATIVE factor ;P

While VB does work to run applications, then moment you need to interface to devices on USB/Bluetooth or something else you're going to have work to make it work..:)

Really? :\ I always found setting VB a breeze ... well, I suppose comparing to re-compiling WINE from freeBSD tar - it is ... :Oops: lol

I'm not sure what Parallels did to "permeate" the entire OS X system since it's just an application that doesn't do anything when it isn't running..

Sure, but (and it's a big but for me) - it enables files, incl executables, to be handled by non-OSX programs: I was horrified to see a bunch of Windows apps as available options, when going 'Open with' - there was no way I would let Windows code run free on my system. ;P

M

MacInWin

CLIP...
Sure, but (and it's a big but for me) - it enables files, incl executables, to be handled by non-OSX programs: I was horrified to see a bunch of Windows apps as available options, when going 'Open with' - there was no way I would let Windows code run free on my system. ;P
it's doesn't "run free." When you click on a windows application, parallels starts and boots the appropriate VM to run that program. The Windows code runs in the VM, it's just that to make it easy to get to one application, Parallels let's you do with one click instead of having to start Parallels desktop, boot the VM and then launch the application. If you use Coherent mode, the Windows app opens in a window to make it LOOK like it's running natively, but it's not.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It should be noted that the latest version of CrossOver (which incorporates WINE) pretty much does the same thing, however, those Windows apps that it can run are limited. I have several Windows games that I run that way - click on the game icon, CrossOver loads the game and it appears to be running natively in OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.