Performance question regarding thumbdrives

Reaction score
If I leave my thumbdrive in my laptop all the time, will it adversely affect performance? What if the thumbdrive is empty?

I have a Macbook Pro Retina, if that matters...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Other than breaking the port or drive should it fall or bump something doubt it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks, hopefully not, it's one of those micro, ultra low profile drives.

I was just wondering if it being there would increase the places the Mac has to search, or something.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Personally, I would not leave it plugged in. Murphy's Law is always lingering around waiting to strike.... Remove it and keep it in your pocket, plug it in when ready to use. Make sure you properly eject it each time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And eject properly rather than just removing to prevent corruption and/or failure. Save procedure as Windows......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Just to add to Harry's point, if your Mac goes asleep while the USB thumb drive is still plug in, it may be "improperly" ejected as a result.

EDIT: on second thought, maybe not. Anyway, I agree with all. Better safe than sorry and just eject and unplug it when not in use.

C

chas_m

YES, having the USB drive in all the time will slow the machine down any time it has to look for something (spotlight searches, etc).

Agree with all above. Properly eject the drive when not in use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.