Emailing a mac

Reaction score
I figured out how to email people via terminal's mailx command.
Does anyone know how someone with a normal email like gmail or whatnot could reply to my terminal sent emails so that when I next used mailx they would show up? What would they put in the "To" box? Clicking "Reply" doesn't work; I've tried.
Is this even possible?
Please help this noob.
Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You'll need to have a domain name, and a mail server running on that domain to be able to get a "To" address for people to send you anything..

You likely had to configure the SMTP information to be able to send the email, and that's how mailx managed to get the email out, getting back requires a bit more..:)

OP
P
Reaction score
Smtp?

You likely had to configure the SMTP information to be able to send the email, and that's how mailx managed to get the email out...

I didn't have to configure anything. I just typed:

mailx [email protected] [enter]
subject [enter]
message [enter]
.[enter]

It said "EOT" and it worked. That's all I had to do.

You'll need to have a domain name, and a mail server running on that domain to be able to get a "To" address for people to send you anything...

Would you tell me how to set one up? Would that be a good idea?

Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you didn't explicitly configure it, it might have used the already configured information from somewhere..

If you want to setup your own system, you can use things like DynDNS to create a domain name and point it to your public IP address. You would then set up a machine locally with the mail server. On your router, you'd route the appropriate ports to the machine and have the mail client do the work.

This would allow you to have <name>@<mydomain.com> e-mail addresses for example..

C

chas_m

I think you've left something important out of your question: why would anyone want to go through this sort of effort?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.