Quad Core vs. Dual Core for Logic Pro X

Reaction score
I own a MBPro 13 inch and use it most often for statistical analysis, keynote, and word processing.

I also am a Garageband hobbyist. Usually, my garageband projects have about 15-20 tracks, most of which will be software instruments with a midi keyboard and remaining are audio (2-3 tracks guitar and microphone).

I am thinking of upgrading my MBPro and also get Logic Pro X but could not decide whether having a MBPro 15 inch, quad core 2.3Ghz rather than a MbPro 13 inch dual core 2.8Ghz is worth the extra size and weight since I travel a lot.

In both cases, I would opt for 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Logic Pro is aware of the number of cores on the CPU 2, 4 or 8 and gives you the control to effectively use it. With that in mind, if rendering your music quickly is important, then going with the quad core (at slower speed) over with the dual core (at a higher speed) will actually turn out to be better thing.

With the quad core, you have the ability to run 4 things simultaneously, while the dual core only allows two. With applications that are truly and keenly aware of the CPU cores, you will definitely see a performance boost going with the most cores you can afford..

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you. I think I will go with the quad core and get used to carrying about half a kilo more in my backpack.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.