Duplicate and Triplicate Songs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 MBPro 16" wi/Retina Display, iPhone 15 Pro Max, MBPro 13" (2021).
I need to wipe out the songs I have on my iPhone 5S and my iPad Mini Retina Display because of the above. I believe the problem occurred because I had iTunes Match on.

I need understand how to delete all songs from both devices and re-download everything so that there is only one copy of each song on my devices.

I have no idea where to begin. While my iTunes Library is correct on my MacBook Pro, I don't understand how to re-set everything to make it work.

I'm only somewhat computer savvy and after trying a number of things realize I don't have a clue as to how to rectify the situation. Any clear and precisely worded help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rich

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your iTunes library is correct on your MacBook Pro and those are the songs you want on your iPhone and iPad, then syncing each to your MacBook Pro should straighten it out. Just create a playlist on your MBP of the music you wish and sync that to your iPhone and iPad.

I've done that numerous times with various iPods and now iPhones and it works. I don't keep music on my iPad but it would work the same way.

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Playlist -

Okay, thank you for the suggestion. Made the new playlist. Now, how do I get the sync to replace the music on the phone with the new playlist? It doesn't sync automatically.

Thanks again -

Rich

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you've selected "manually manage my music" in options, then all you need to do attach your iPhone or iPad and make sure it's showing up on the screen of your Mac in iTunes. Assuming your playlist is all ready to go, select your iPhone or iPad so that it's the forefront device showing. Then press the "sync" button. Depending on how much you have to sync, it may take awhile.

I just got through syncing 81 MP3 home recordings and 40 songs from iTunes on to my wife's iPhone and it took about an hour to complete everything.

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where is "manually manage my music?"

Thanks for your help -
R

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found it ! "Selected songs" etc. everything came up - now syncing!

Thanks again!
Rich

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to iTunes preferences, click on the "Devices" tab. Select "Prevent iPod.........from syncing automatically.

That should bring up "manually manage my music" when you switch to Music on your iPhone or iPad. Anyway, in your situation it may not matter if you're wanting to clear out the old music on both devices. When you sync, that will erase whatever music is already on the iPhone and iPad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.