How does everyone feel about the rumored new larger iPhone 6?

Reaction score
I personally think the iPhone 5 screen size is ideal. I've owned a Samsung S4 before, but sold it because I thought it was too big for the pocket but 'big' is somewhat subjective.

How does everyone feel about the new 4.7 and 5.5 inch screen?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How does everyone feel about the new 4.7 and 5.5 inch screen?

Since we don't know for sure what the iPhone 6 will look like or what size its screens will be, it's difficult to comment. All I know is that my iPhone 5c is large enough as it is and anything larger will be more of a burden to carry around.

M

MacInWin

I've seen the big Samsungs. Just. Say. No. The 5s I have is just about perfect size.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You know, when I got my first 5 inch device, I thought it was much too large. I thought it was bulky and it felt really odd in my hand. Now however, if you tried to give me an iPhone 5/5s or an equivalent sized phone, I'd think you gave me a phone designed for children (in size only, that's not a criticism of the phone quality or software). I can just about guarantee that if Apple released a larger iPhone, you'd grow to love it and never want to go back. Indeed, I now feel the same way you each feel about a 5" device - you want to give me a 4" device? Hmm, no, I'm good.

To each their own I suppose. I could be way off but most people I see come to love and grow into the phone. In fact, I tell myself this every time I see a reviewer say "the Galaxy Note 3 is huge but the size is amazing."

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There's definitely a balance between size & functionality. I remember before smartphones (just regular cell phones)...the industry was trying their best to make them as small as possible (you guys should see my cellphone).;)

Now with smartphones & the display size...it does seem to be the trend to push how big is too big. Or how big is perfect.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To each their own I suppose. I could be way off but most people I see come to love and grow into the phone. In fact, I tell myself this every time I see a reviewer say "the Galaxy Note 3 is huge but the size is amazing."

For you young fellas it's probably OK, but us poor old guys have a hard enough time wearing heavy shoes let alone carrying around a 5 or 6 inch phone. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Maybe the slightest increase in screen size, but not much. It still has to fit in my pocket and in my hand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have a Samsung Note II. It is huge and I love it. I have a belt pouch for it and have been known to just slip it into a back pocket. In either place it rides well. I love the big screen and I really love the battery life. Even if I use it very heavily all day I have never fallen below 20% at the end of the day.

If the iPhone 6 comes out with a screen size that is close to my Note and a battery that will last at least 12 hours, I will be looking at it for my next phone. I plan to get a new one in November. We shall see.

I would love to have my electronics to be all Apple so they would all play well together.

Lisa

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
For you young fellas it's probably OK, but us poor old guys have a hard enough time wearing heavy shoes let alone carrying around a 5 or 6 inch phone. ;P
First of all, thank you for calling me young, haha. Second, wouldn't a larger screen be more beneficial?

Maybe the slightest increase in screen size, but not much. It still has to fit in my pocket and in my hand.
A 5" phone will fit in your hand without issue. I have normal sized hands and this is what my Nexus 5 looks like in my hand:

20140417_235930683_iOS.jpg

I'm not saying that a larger screen size works for everyone but I show that more to show that it's manageable. As always though, to each their own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
5S is about my limit. I wear non-baggy jeans and anything bigger won't work. I've got room for maybe another 1/4" in length and width on a phone, then things will get uncomfortable. I found my Droid X to be one toke over the line in size.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Those larger screens would be nice for these old eyes.

Maybe I could start carrying a purse to put my phone in.

Naw...

M

MacInWin

Exactly! A six inch iPhone isn't that much smaller than my iPad mini, which fits nowhere. I don't want a holster, purse, man-bag or any other tote for a phone. Keep it small, Apple!

Reaction score
I love the perfect size of my iPhone 5s, and I really don't want a phone any larger.
Unfortunately, I'm finding it increasingly difficult, in my middle age, of focusing while reading a 4" screen (and I was unable to adjust to progressive bifocals), so it is with great reluctance that I will have to embrace a larger phone. If the rumors are to be believed, Apple will release two new sizes - 4.7" and 5.6". I'll have to visit the Apple Store when they come out to see which one will work better for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I expect that Apple will continue to sell the existing 4" size indefinitely, as well as a larger one in the near future. And why not? A lot of people obviously like it as it is. It would be simple to support two sizes indefinitely, especially if the aspect ratios are the same. They already support two sizes of iPads, so why not the iPhone too? The big unknown here is what the resolution will be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I love the perfect size of my iPhone 5s, and I really don't want a phone any larger.
Unfortunately, I'm finding it increasingly difficult, in my middle age, of focusing while reading a 4" screen (and I was unable to adjust to progressive bifocals), so it is with great reluctance that I will have to embrace a larger phone. If the rumors are to be believed, Apple will release two new sizes - 4.7" and 5.6". I'll have to visit the Apple Store when they come out to see which one will work better for me.

I am exactly in the same boat as you are. I mean literally exactly. I have only recently had to accept that I have to wear reading glasses when using my iPhone for more than 10 minutes and now I'm looking at getting bifocals. I even have a magnifying glass in my office now. I agree that I may have little choice but to go to a larger screen size phone in the future.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree that I may have little choice but to go to a larger screen size phone in the future.
And Apple might be getting ready to meet those needs since they seem to recognize that the 4" market is not what's increasingly profitable (source).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x eMac 1ghz
To be honest I prefer android but i still love macs.
I have a couple of G4s sitting around.
I use an emac G4 10.5 leo for itunes and web surfing but when it comes to 10.9 I use (sad to admit it) a h...h...hackintosh :(. reason is i kant afford a new mac at the moment so I recycled my old gaming rig to a 10.9 mac. It proforms way better than most macs but i would still prefer a real mac kuz of the retina display and the authenticity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Exactly! A six inch iPhone isn't that much smaller than my iPad mini, which fits nowhere. I don't want a holster, purse, man-bag or any other tote for a phone. Keep it small, Apple!

Not so true, as I have been known to carry my iPad Mini in my back pocket of my 501's. Given I would never sit down with it in there, but it can be done.
As well as that, I have Cargo Pants I use when I shoot photography and slip it into the pockets so I then have a 7.9" screen to view my images instead of a 5"

Saying all that, the note is TOO big for me, and the 4s too small, and the 5" is just right ;)

OP
S
Reaction score
My theory is that Apple knows they have a market segment that will stick to their IOS almost indefinitely and that the change in screen size is to win over the segments they have failed to capture. For example, with me, I buy Apple because of its’ IOS. In particular because it is neatly categorized, easy to use and Siri is so much more intelligent than Android voice apps. Even if I do not like the rumored bigger phone, no other company can substitute with the Apple IOS. Therefore, personally I will stick with iPhone.

On the other hand, Apple knows that a bigger screen will help them capture some customers of Samsung who bought an S5 for example, due to a larger screen. So iPhone 6 vs Samsung S5, Apple with superior IOS, superior parts and equivalent screen. Who wins? Not to mention the 'old timers' who cannot see with the current 4 inch iPhone.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.