How does everyone feel about the rumored new larger iPhone 6?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
See I never once stated Apple SHOULD NOT ever make a larger screen phone. I just gave the reasons why it MIGHT not work for me. Others have said different things.

M

MacInWin

Apple can make whatever size it wants, obviously, but I don't want a phone bigger than the 5s. Now, if I had larger hands, then maybe a bigger phone might work better, as it does for my 6'4" friend with tennis racquet sized hands. He went with a Samsung just to get bigger finger room. I'll see what they come up with, but what would be miserable is if they keep a smaller size but let it languish behind in tech, like the 5c does. It's essentially a 5 in a color case. If they leave the 5s tech in the smaller form factor and move on with the larger, that might drive me to look elsewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2009, Macbook Air 2012
My 2c worth. Apologies for its length... :)

I have had years of experience (since the 1980s) with both computers and phones. All makes, all operating systems. As I reached my late 50s, I became an Apple user. (Not a "fanboy"; that requires blind unswerving allegiance to Apple and the desire to ridicule everything non-Apple.)

I could no longer be bothered with viruses, Windows "BSOD", and laptop batteries that failed to hold any charge after three months (what is THAT about?) My Windows and Linux desktops and laptops have now been replaced by an iMac and Macbook Air. I couldn't be happier! I also have an iPad Air and an old 3Gs I use as an ipod.

And so to phones. When the 3Gs came out, I bought it, and loved it. When the 5 came out, I bought a 4S, because it was cheaper, (miserly I know, but I couldn't justify the cost difference.)

But then I began reading news and doing Google searches on my phone. Even with my prescription glasses, it was a chore and a strain. And then came IOS 7. I HATED it!

Now in my late 60s, I succumbed and bought a HTC ONE. Gave away my 3Gs, and sold my 4S.

Bliss! I could now read news items and the results of Google searches, and even email! Wow! Was I rapt with my HTC? You bet! And the HTC ONE is as good as they say it is.

But then the shortcomings of the Android operating system (I am running the very latest) started to get to me. It seems unintuitive (to me), compared to IOS, and sometimes things happen that I don't expect, or want. I want to turn off vibration, but I can't. Little irritations are starting to "get to me".

In short, I want my iPhone back!

But I want it the same size as my HTC ONE. So I can still read news, email, and Google search results. Is that a lot to ask?

I presume *most* of the readers of this forum are a younger age group, with 20-20 vision. But you would be amazed how many older folks use smartphones now.

And that is why I am eagerly awaiting the (hopefully larger) new iPhone... :)

Mike

M

MacInWin

Mike, as one of the more vocal "keep it small" folks, let me tell you I am 68, close to 69 years old, wear glasses (Have since I was 20) and use my iPhone for all sorts of things. But I have an iPad mini for reading, surfing, email, etc, as a primary device and use the iPhone primarily for calls, texts, navigation, and traffic/weather updates. In a pinch, I'll check email on it, too. I carry the iPhone everywhere, the iPad goes with me when I know I need it, but not always.

One trick I have learned is to turn the phone into landscape orientation and the font for whatever I'm looking at gets larger to fit the wider screen available. Sweet trick for those few times when the portrait mode is just too tiny for my old eyes.

So, the assumption that advocates of "keep it small" are all young is not valid. I want it kept small to fit in my and hands better than a huge honking brick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Apple can make whatever size it wants, obviously, but I don't want a phone bigger than the 5s. Now, if I had larger hands, then maybe a bigger phone might work better, as it does for my 6'4" friend with tennis racquet sized hands. He went with a Samsung just to get bigger finger room. I'll see what they come up with, but what would be miserable is if they keep a smaller size but let it languish behind in tech, like the 5c does. It's essentially a 5 in a color case. If they leave the 5s tech in the smaller form factor and move on with the larger, that might drive me to look elsewhere.

I have rather large hands myself and I don't think I'd like anything much bigger than the 5S as it is. I go caseless in part because all but the slimmer ones are just too bulky. I'd have to reserve judgement until I see what Apple actually does though since the cases typically add bulk all the way around, which I doubt would quite mimic would a larger iPhone would feel like.

The iPhone 3GS in an InCase Slider was pretty much perfect for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2009, Macbook Air 2012
Mike, as one of the more vocal "keep it small" folks, let me tell you I am 68, close to 69 years old, wear glasses (Have since I was 20) and use my iPhone for all sorts of things. But I have an iPad mini for reading, surfing, email, etc, as a primary device and use the iPhone primarily for calls, texts, navigation, and traffic/weather updates. In a pinch, I'll check email on it, too. I carry the iPhone everywhere, the iPad goes with me when I know I need it, but not always.

One trick I have learned is to turn the phone into landscape orientation and the font for whatever I'm looking at gets larger to fit the wider screen available. Sweet trick for those few times when the portrait mode is just too tiny for my old eyes.

So, the assumption that advocates of "keep it small" are all young is not valid. I want it kept small to fit in my and hands better than a huge honking brick.

Points all taken. :)

I don't take my iPad anywhere unless I'm going away for a few days, except that I use it as a notebook for courses I'm doing. I prefer to carry as little as possible. (phone, wallet, keys...) :)

I take your point about about landscape mode, but then you are continuously scrolling. (Yeah, I know, you just CAN'T PLEASE some people!)

And I can also accept that you might like it small to fit in your hands better. That's cool. I can't text with one hand anyhow... :/

Really, all I'm asking for is something the size of my HTC ONE. To me, that's nowhere near a "Honking Big Phone".

But after all, it really IS "horses for courses", this cellphone business! A friend was using a Galaxy Note. That, I'm afraid, is too big for my tastes...

(Turned out he gave up on Android too, and went back to his iPhone 5.)

Mike

OP
S
Reaction score
Apple should have two sizes when they release the iPhone 6. The 5s size and larger size for folks who want a larger screen.

Reaction score
No to larger iPhone!

My iPhone 5 is plenty large enough, thank you very much.
Anything larger would be clumsy in my hand, so I'd wait to upgrade for a comfortable size.
until I found out the iPhone 6 may be larger, I thought I'd get an iPhone 6 when available, but not for something awkward!

When I want larger screen, I go to iPad.
If I want larger than iPad screen, I go to my MB air.
For larger than that, it's my 27" iMac.

No way do I want an iPhone that's just too big!

Reaction score
My 2c worth. Apologies for its length... :)

I have had years of experience (since the 1980s) with both computers and phones. All makes, all operating systems. As I reached my late 50s, I became an Apple user. (Not a "fanboy"; that requires blind unswerving allegiance to Apple and the desire to ridicule everything non-Apple.)

I could no longer be bothered with viruses, Windows "BSOD", and laptop batteries that failed to hold any charge after three months (what is THAT about?) My Windows and Linux desktops and laptops have now been replaced by an iMac and Macbook Air. I couldn't be happier! I also have an iPad Air and an old 3Gs I use as an ipod.

And so to phones. When the 3Gs came out, I bought it, and loved it. When the 5 came out, I bought a 4S, because it was cheaper, (miserly I know, but I couldn't justify the cost difference.)

But then I began reading news and doing Google searches on my phone. Even with my prescription glasses, it was a chore and a strain. And then came IOS 7. I HATED it!

Now in my late 60s, I succumbed and bought a HTC ONE. Gave away my 3Gs, and sold my 4S.

Bliss! I could now read news items and the results of Google searches, and even email! Wow! Was I rapt with my HTC? You bet! And the HTC ONE is as good as they say it is.

But then the shortcomings of the Android operating system (I am running the very latest) started to get to me. It seems unintuitive (to me), compared to IOS, and sometimes things happen that I don't expect, or want. I want to turn off vibration, but I can't. Little irritations are starting to "get to me".

But I want it the same size as my HTC ONE. So I can still read news, email, and Google search results. Is that a lot to ask?

I presume *most* of the readers of this forum are a younger age group, with 20-20 vision. But you would be amazed how many older folks use smartphones now.

And that is why I am eagerly awaiting the (hopefully larger) new iPhone... :)

Mike

I'm in my 60's, and have poor vision. There are ways to enlarge the font size, or enlarge everything, which I do as needed.
That said: I do not want anything larger than my iPhone 5! It would be awkward to hold.

Have you considered an iPad mini with cellular?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
My brothers are avid Android users and have been trying to make me "see the error of my ways" for ages. That is one thing that annoys me about Android. Not Google or the manufacturers, the bloody users. Such an obnoxious bunch.
They're pretty happy at the idea of Apple bringing in a phone with the same width or size of the Nexus. I simply claimed that its good for someone with large hands like them, but not someone with small stumpy fingers like some people I know. The Nexus 5 seems far to wide for my taste.
But that is just me and perhaps I will warm up to the new sizes once I see them in action and get to test them. But as it stands now; I'm not for the idea of a bigger phone. It seems a step back IMO.

When the mobile was invented, we had those huge bricks and as technology progressed, we saw the phones get smaller and more compact until that sleek Motorola RAZR. Now with the smartphones, its seems that we're leaping backwards instead of progressing.

BTW... I never quoted Steve on anything. If you watch the keynote for the 1st iPhone, you'll notice him constantly referring to the "research". So one could assume that a lot went into the planning of the iPhone including its size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
Apple should have two sizes when they release the iPhone 6. The 5s size and larger size for folks who want a larger screen.
I agree that would make much better sense. But from what I hear, they're ditching the current size and making 2 new ones that are bigger.

OP
S
Reaction score
They should have three sizes then. One or two size doesn't fit or appeal to all. In addition, when I put a Samsung S4 in my front pocket, the top of the phone puts pressure on my hip-bone when I'm sitting on the couch.

Obviously the research of iPhone 1st generation wasn't good enough. Along came the change in screen size of the the iPhone 5, then now...the iPhone 6.

I can't wait till September, only time will tell. They usually release their iPhones around September, such a long wait though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had an iphone4 which i loved for about a year then found i was bored with the os and the fact that it was rigid in its lack of personalization. I decided to try an android and bought the Samsung S3 when it first came out. I have never looked back. I love android for its versatility of ways to personalize my phone. This is not in any way a criticism of iphones. I just prefer androids and the larger screen size. So much so that i now have the Note 3 with its 5.7" screen. Sold my ipad mini andgot a Samsung Note 8 tablet cause i can use all my android apps on it and once again i can personalize it the way i like it. I have never regretted this.
I have my imac 24" and my MBA 13" and cannot ever foresee wanting to change except to a higher spec mac or MBA.
Its all about personal taste/needs/wants. If Apple wants to capture more market share they need to offer more flexibility in their sizes. I see no reason why they couldn't offer a 4", and a 4.6", and a 5.5" screen. Then let the user choose what works for them.
I personally will never go back to a screen size of 4" but each to their own.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
See I never once stated Apple SHOULD NOT ever make a larger screen phone. I just gave the reasons why it MIGHT not work for me. Others have said different things.
That wasn't directed right at you. ;)

Have you considered Windows Phone devices? Those phones are larger and the interface is much more simple than Android and in that respect, its simplicity might feel more comfortable if you like iOS.

My brothers are avid Android users and have been trying to make me "see the error of my ways" for ages. That is one thing that annoys me about Android. Not Google or the manufacturers, the bloody users. Such an obnoxious bunch.
You haven't met too many iPhone users have you? :p

(Apologists exist for every device without question).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
That wasn't directed right at you. ;)

I thought Dennis was responding to you at first also, but after reading back, I'm pretty sure he was replying to this post. That guy seems to be highly inclined to twist what anyone says to match his existing opinions.

Have you considered Windows Phone devices? Those phones are larger and the interface is much more simple than Android and in that respect, its simplicity might feel more comfortable if you like iOS.

I haven't used a Windows Phone myself, but this is my general impression also.

You haven't met too many iPhone users have you? :p

(Apologists exist for every device without question).

Today's Fandroids remind me of the Mac faithful from the late 90's that I'd encounter in various Usenet forums. The obnoxious ones may be a minority, but man oh man are they annoying!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My reply was triggered by many posts including even the "I have never used an iPhone so who cares" one! :D Grin

I am a wait and see kind of person as Apple often surprises people and makes the impossible possible. Time will tell.

I do like Windows phone OS except I still find many apps that I need not available on Windows phone! Otherwise I would consider it for my next device.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Today's Fandroids remind me of the Mac faithful from the late 90's that I'd encounter in various Usenet forums. The obnoxious ones may be a minority, but man oh man are they annoying!
So, politicians in training?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will these do? :D Grin

If you turn the iPhone 8 on it's side it would view Letter Box movies great! :D Grin

apple-iphone-10.jpg

7799_02c6.jpeg

Attachments

• iPhone-5-you-how-long-new-iPhone-elongated-Figure-Collect-12.jpg
    iPhone-5-you-how-long-new-iPhone-elongated-Figure-Collect-12.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 50
OP
S
Reaction score
Haha...good one!

Although I think the iPhone 6 will expand on it's width. When recording a video with the 5S and holding the phone verticle, the image is way too thin

M

MacInWin

Haha...good one!

Although I think the iPhone 6 will expand on it's width. When recording a video with the 5S and holding the phone verticle, the image is way too thin
Don't do that, make movies in landscape, they play much better on larger displays that way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.