Macbook Pro Retina randomly (improperly) ejecting external hard drives.

Reaction score
I am currently experiencing an issue where my laptop is ejecting my external hard drives. I have done research on it and have come up with no solution.

eject.png

I really don't want my hard drives to corrupt so I would like to solve this as soon as possible. It happens with BOTH USB ports. It happens to my WD drive and my Toshiba drive. (Please no responses involving "Just get Seagate" because I have seen that a few times on similar posts on other sites).

My mac is on OSX 10.9.2 Mavericks.
Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16GB

The issue happens randomly. It doesn't eject flash drives or my iPhone.. just external Hard Drives. I don't know what other information I can offer.

I tried repairing permissions and resetting PRAM. I would appreciate any help. This only started happening last week.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like it may be a power issue going to the USB ports. First thing I would try is to reset the SMC to see if it makes a difference. See this LINK.

Is your MBP still under any kind of warranty (Apple Care)? If the SMC doesn't work, you might want to let Apple take a look at it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.