Unable to read Mac HD in Windows 7 or Linux

Reaction score
I have a dead MBP and I'm trying to get the data off the HD. I've tried MacDrive and HFSExplorer (they have both worked for me before) and I'm not having any luck reading the drive. I can see that the system recognizes that the drive is connected but I can't get it to mount.

If anyone has any ideas on my next step or if you need any further information, please let me know.

Thanks!

Reaction score
I have a dead MBP and I'm trying to get the data off the HD. I've tried MacDrive and HFSExplorer (they have both worked for me before) and I'm not having any luck reading the drive. I can see that the system recognizes that the drive is connected but I can't get it to mount.

If anyone has any ideas on my next step or if you need any further information, please let me know.

Thanks!
Are you able to remove the Harddrive itself. as you could attach to a external unit or add via a sata cable to a spare pc. Other than that a expensive trip to a data recovery company.

OP
B
Reaction score
It's out and I've tried a USB bay and connected directly to the SATA ports

I've removed the drive and connected it to the other systems. I think the PCB is dead, it's not being recognized by the BIOS and doesn't spin up during hot-swap. Does anyone know if these MBP Hitachi drives all use the same firmware?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Thread title says "Unable to read Mac HD in Windows 7 or Linux".

Are you trying to read this HD from the MBP on a Windows computer? Mac HD's are formatted differently than Windows computer HD's...so this may be causing issues.

Your best bet...is to plug this Mac HD into another Mac computer to get the data you need off the drive.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've removed the drive and connected it to the other systems. I think the PCB is dead, it's not being recognized by the BIOS and doesn't spin up during hot-swap. Does anyone know if these MBP Hitachi drives all use the same firmware?

Firmware doesn't matter. If the drive is not spinning up, there's a good chance that the PS interface is dead as you suspected. That means regardless of hooking it up to a PC or Mac, it's not going to be read. When the PCB interface on the drive dies, the only way you're going to extract data from it is by using a "Drive Saver Service". And that can be expensive.

First, make sure that it is in fact dead and not spinning up even when directly connected. If that turns out to be the case, then your only option is as stated above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.