What are the best tools and software for iPad presentations (including remotes)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 - i7 2600 3.4GHZ, 24GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 2GB GPU | iPad 4th gen | iPod Video 4th gen 60GB
I'm using an iPad 4th generation device and my software includes Haiku Deck and Keynote. I've fully used Haiku Deck so I don't want to discuss that too much (love the software!). I'm curious about working with Keynote and PowerPoint and any others that are compatible. I also am looking for solutions for remote control devices. It's not clear to me what devices work with iPads, as most apps describe controlling a Mac computer with an iOS device. So far I've had trouble using an iPod Touch 4th generation which is troubling. I can connect all kinds of devices to my iPad, such as Bluetooth keyboards and an Android phone, but the Touch running iOS 6 will not seem to connect. In other words I can't use it to control Keynote on IPad which is disappointing. Please advise on software and remotes. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 - i7 2600 3.4GHZ, 24GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 2GB GPU | iPad 4th gen | iPod Video 4th gen 60GB
I appreciate the effort to "google" that. The Satechi device actually looks pretty cool. Unfortunately it does not support Keynote iOS. ("Works as a presentation remote control for Keynote on Mac Computers (not compatible with Keynote on iOS devices")

My main problem though, as I mentioned, is the iPod Touch 4th gen with iOS6 cannot make a wi-fi or bluetooth connection with the iPad running iOS7. IS this something I should pursue finding a "fix" for? Perhaps this older iPod and iOS6 are just not going to network together at all.

Thanks,

M

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate the effort to "google" that. The Satechi device actually looks pretty cool. Unfortunately it does not support Keynote iOS. ("Works as a presentation remote control for Keynote on Mac Computers (not compatible with Keynote on iOS devices")

At the bottom of that same page:

NOTE: Only controls Keynote on Mac OSX computers (not iOS devices). The Satechi Bluetooth Smartpointer is capable of controlling Keynote in iOS.
I probably should have just posted the link to that device instead.

My main problem though, as I mentioned, is the iPod Touch 4th gen with iOS6 cannot make a wi-fi or bluetooth connection with the iPad running iOS7. IS this something I should pursue finding a "fix" for? Perhaps this older iPod and iOS6 are just not going to network together at all.

The "problem" is that these devices are incapable of doing what you want to do. Well not exactly incapable, but the apps have to very explicitly support peer-to-peer connectivity over wi-fi or bluetooth. Basically, what you'd need to find is presentation software for the iPad that has a companion "controller" app for your iPod that supports peer-to-peer over bluetooth, and I don't know of one myself. My recommendation? Get the Satechi Bluetooth Smart Pointer. It likely is easier to use than an iPod app would be and it even has a built-in laser pointer, which would be handy if you are outputting the iPad's display to a projector.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for finding that alternate device. You're correct that having a laser pointer is a great tool to have. I agree a dedicated device would probably be better than using an iOS device.

But the technology I described is actually built into Keynote. It used to be that you apparently would need an app called "Remote". Now the Apple website says this feature is built directly into Keynote.

It's described here:
Using Keynote Remote

iOS devices can supposedly be used to control each other within Keynote.

I installed Keynote on my iPad 4th gen and the older iPod Touch 4th gen and they couldn't find each other when I tried to switch that feature on.

I was very disappointed that in settings on the iPad the iPod Touch could not even be found. My iPad has discovered and connected with a wide variety of devices.

My suspicion is iOS 6 and iOS 7 compatibility issues for this process, particularly when using the older iPod Touch.

I will investigate getting a remote like Satechi offers. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But the technology I described is actually built into Keynote. It used to be that you apparently would need an app called "Remote". Now the Apple website says this feature is built directly into Keynote.

It's described here:
Using Keynote Remote

iOS devices can supposedly be used to control each other within Keynote.

I installed Keynote on my iPad 4th gen and the older iPod Touch 4th gen and they couldn't find each other when I tried to switch that feature on.

I was very disappointed that in settings on the iPad the iPod Touch could not even be found. My iPad has discovered and connected with a wide variety of devices.

My suspicion is iOS 6 and iOS 7 compatibility issues for this process, particularly when using the older iPod Touch.

Ahhhhh... this took some digging, but I believe I have divined what is going on here (edit: you actually did already, it took me a little longer to wrap my head around it). The current version of Keynote for iOS is 2.2 and it requires iOS 7. I assume 2.1 did also. Prior to this, Apple had a separate Keynote Remote app available to control Keynote on one device from another. That remote app is now pulled from the App Store and the remote feature is baked directly into Keynote instead. Unfortunately, anyone on iOS 6 and earlier got left behind, unless they had the Remote app already. In other words, only Keynote 2.1 or later can remote control Keynote 2.1 or later, and they require iOS 7. Since your iPod is on iOS 6, it can't run 2.1 or later.

Apple removes Keynote Remote from the App Store following Keynote 2.1 for iOS update

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate your "digging" but I believe you're mistaken. The version of Keynote inside the iPod Touch certainly DOES support the "remote" functionality. It just doesn't connect to the iPad using these internal tools.

I believe (but I don't know for sure) that all iOS 6 and 7 devices should be able to "find each other" using bluetooth and wifi but these 2 don't. That's a serious problem. And I believe that Apple is to blame here. I don't think there's anything wrong with the iPod Touch. It simply won't connect to the newer iPad.

I'm thinking this is a waste of time at this point, as I'm sure a newer Touch or iPhone would probably connect without issue.

Thanks for your help and sharing links.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate your "digging" but I believe you're mistaken. The version of Keynote inside the iPod Touch certainly DOES support the "remote" functionality. It just doesn't connect to the iPad using these internal tools.

You can believe I'm wrong all you like, that doesn't mean I am. Fact is, controlling Keynote from another device used to require the separate Keynote Remote app. This is beyond dispute. Fact is, Apple merged the remote functionality into Keynote 2.1 for iOS and pulled the separate Remote app from the Store. Again, this too is beyond dispute. Keynote 2.2 and later requires iOS 7. This too is beyond dispute... It says so on the App Store. I assume 2.1 also required iOS 7, but I can't determine that from searching. You never mentioned what version you have on the iPod is (I should have asked), but if it's older than 2.1, then it only has the ability to be controlled, not double as a controller. You can insist differently all you like, but all the internet begs to differ. If your iPod does have Keynote 2.1 on it, then I stand corrected.

I believe (but I don't know for sure) that all iOS 6 and 7 devices should be able to "find each other" using bluetooth and wifi but these 2 don't. That's a serious problem. And I believe that Apple is to blame here. I don't think there's anything wrong with the iPod Touch. It simply won't connect to the newer iPad.

You seem to have an extremely poor understanding of how networking and inter-device communication works. The ability to "find each other" is wholly dependent on application support, within the limits of what iOS allows. The version of Keynote on your iPod simply cannot act as a controller, unless I was mistaken earlier and you are in fact running Keynote 2.1 on it. This has nothing to do with iOS or the type of device it is running on.

I'm thinking this is a waste of time at this point, as I'm sure a newer Touch or iPhone would probably connect without issue.

Of course a new device running iOS 7 would fix the problem. It would also now be able to run the newer version of Keynote.

EDIT: here's Apple tutorial on how to use Keynote Remote in Keynote 2.1.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6112

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate the reply and time you've put into this but not getting this iPod Touch and the newer iPad working together is the issue at this point.

I think you're a bit of a strident user of the forum aren't you? It's something that requires insult? that I "don't understand networking."

I'm going to just draw your attention to one particularly silly thing you said.

Quote "The ability to "find each other" is wholly dependent on application support."

No I'm afraid you're mistaken. (Notice how I kindly don't say you're wrong).

My iPad doesn't require an "application" to find the bluetooth devices I try connecting to it. It doesn't have a problem with the iMac Android phone either. But the old iPod Touch just doesn't show up.

I'm talking about the initial settings - not deep in the applications.

Time to say thanks and leave this.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are extremely "mistaken". I have an iPad 4 and iPhone 5S sitting right here, both running iOS 7 and both have Bluetooth on. They don't "see" each other, nor will they unless I open an app on each that supports connecting to each other and can do so over Bluetooth. Your understanding of networking is extremely poor, and that's not an insult. It is what it is. But please feel free to continue kidding yourself differently. I'm done here.

C

chas_m

I am currently still using Keynote Remote (on an iPhone 5s running iOS 7) to control my Mac's Keynote (and yes I get the warning -- but it works). At some point I will just remember and start using Keynote on my phone to control the Mac Keynote. I have found this system works extremely well and very reliably, since I can use tethering even in places where no Wi-Fi is available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am currently still using Keynote Remote (on an iPhone 5s running iOS 7) to control my Mac's Keynote (and yes I get the warning -- but it works). At some point I will just remember and start using Keynote on my phone to control the Mac Keynote. I have found this system works extremely well and very reliably, since I can use tethering even in places where no Wi-Fi is available.

Yes, but that is the standalone app that the OP doesn't have, correct? And he wants to control an iPad from an iPod. And the iPod is running iOS 6, so he doesn't have access to the version of Keynote that has the Remote feature baked in.

C

chas_m

I have no idea if he can still get it, but I would imagine its still possible to get one's hands on the Keynote Remote app for iOS 6 users somehow, and then he could use it.

If not, he'll either have to upgrade to iOS 7 (and since he can run iOS 6, he should be able to run iOS 7) or wait for a third party to add Keynote support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have no idea if he can still get it, but I would imagine its still possible to get one's hands on the Keynote Remote app for iOS 6 users somehow, and then he could use it.

If not, he'll either have to upgrade to iOS 7 (and since he can run iOS 6, he should be able to run iOS 7) or wait for a third party to add Keynote support.

He has a 4th gen iPod touch. It doesn't support iOS 7.
iPod touch (4th Gen, 2012) 16 GB, 32 GB Specs (4th Gen, A1367, ME178LL/A*, 2407, iPod4,1) @ EveryiPod.com

*This model is partially supported by iOS 6. Most notably, it does not support Maps, Siri, Panorama, and FaceTime over cellular. It is not compatible with iOS 7 or later versions of the iOS at all.

As for getting it "somehow"... that would either require pulling it from a backup IF he had downloaded it previously, or finding someone trusting enough with their Apple ID to let him install their copy from their own backup.

C

chas_m

Another options I have used that could be helpful for someone:

On a few occasions I have wanted to give a presentation directly from Keynote on my iPhone or iPad (now of course I could even use PowerPoint to do this if I wanted. One of the places I regularly give presentations has an Apple TV and large HDTV as their presentation station, so of course I can give the presentation directly using AirPlay.

Another place has a projector and big screen but no Apple TV, so what I did was I set up X-Mirage (one could also use Reflector, it's excellent too) on my MacBook Pro which was connected to the projector. This also let me use AirPlay to run the slideshow directly from my iPad in "full screen" mode to the projector, which worked out great since I could still demo things on the Mac by hiding the slideshow.

PS.
As for getting it "somehow"... that would either require pulling it from a backup IF he had downloaded it previously
-- yes, this is what I meant, if he ever had the app he can still get a copy. I guess you really cannot get it down from the App Store anymore, though I hadn't even thought of that when I wrote it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.