MAC 24 external cd

Reaction score
Hi I have a 2006/7 MAC 24 with ann internal cd that does not work. Have tried cleaning it but no success.

I am now trying to connect an external USB cd/dvd drive but the MAC does not seem to recognise it.

Am I missing some sort of setup procedure?

Any help appreciated

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There's no special procedure, and pretty much any external drive should work. There is one exception to this: Apple's DVD player will not play DVDs off an external drive. Well... maybe they will if it's an Apple-branded external DVD drive, but not any others I've used. What drive are you using, and what are you trying to do, or what is "failing" to happen?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for response

It is a cheap external USB cd-ROM Dynamode is the name

I am trying to upgrade operating system to Snow Leapard on my son's MAC. I have tried another disc and neither actually load. I also can't see the CD drive under Finder. Beginning to wonder if I have the wrong CD drive. It odes not mention DVD on the box!

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks for response

It is a cheap external USB cd-ROM Dynamode is the name

I am trying to upgrade operating system to Snow Leapard on my son's MAC. I have tried another disc and neither actually load. I also can't see the CD drive under Finder. Beginning to wonder if I have the wrong CD drive. It odes not mention DVD on the box!

BINGO! If it doesn't have a DVD logo on it, then it likely doesn't support it. This one, for example, is CD-only.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yep Bingo. Cheers.

Thanks to Maplin for swapping.

Wait for more posts as I go about upgrade!

MIke

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.